Precious

December 17, 2009

Precious Jones is a sixteen year old girl struggling with life.  She’s abused at home and so far behind in school, she’ll never catch up.  When her school discovers that she’s pregnant with her second child, she is referred to an alternative school.  Alternative school changes her life, but there’s no happily ever after ending for Precious.

Precious is a movie based on the novel Push by Sapphire.  This movie will break your heart and cause you to shed a bucket of tears.  My friend and I had plenty to discuss after we saw this movie.  My first reaction was that it is dark and depressing, but as I thought about it, I realized that the movie offers a glimmer of hope too.  Precious is stuck in a horrible cycle of abuse and ignorance, but she’s determined to break that cycle.  I couldn’t help but love Precious and cheer for her.

The camera work was a little strange with this movie from time to time.   The camera would zoom in and out rather quickly during some of the close-ups.  The acting was superb, though!  I cannot imagine anyone other than Gabourey Sidibe as Precious.  She was a little bit difficult to understand at times, but I think that was in keeping with the character she was playing and her lack of confidence.  Mo’Nique proved that she is much more than a comedienne and will probably get an Oscar nomination for her role.  I didn’t recognize Sheri Shepherd or Mariah Carey at first and thought they both turned in solid performances as well.

I’ve been curious about Sapphire’s inspiration and her thoughts on the movie, so I was thrilled to see this interview of her.

There is a lot of language and abuse in this movie and it is not always pleasant.  I do think it’s well worth the time to see, because it will stay with you and really make you think.

1. December 17, 2009 6:15 am

I love it when a movie version of a book I liked doesn’t disappoint me. I’m glad this came through for you!

2. December 17, 2009 7:14 am

I never see movies but this one sound terrific! Great review.

3. December 17, 2009 7:18 am

I don’t get out to see movies that aren’t tween kid friendly much, but this one will most definitely make my Netflix Q. I always feel so left out if I haven’t seen at least a few contenders for the Oscar!

4. December 17, 2009 7:31 am

I think I would like to read the book, but I don’t know if I would cope with the film. It might be a bit too graphic for me.

5. December 17, 2009 8:03 am

I have seen the trailers and some interviews with the actresses from Precious and it sounds like a disturbing but powerful movie. It is reality for so many young children and families, which is heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Would you recommend reading the book before seeing the movie?

6. Nadia permalink
    December 17, 2009 9:01 am

Great review! Sounds like such a good movie.

7. December 17, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the Sapphire interview link. I saw the movie last week and I’ve been curious to learn more about the author.

8. December 17, 2009 9:39 am

I think “buckets of tears” would probably be accurate for me!

9. December 17, 2009 11:00 am

I saw the preview for this one the other day and I definitely took notice. I’ll be watching this one at some point- it’s one of those movies that will be hard to watch, yet rewarding, I think!

10. December 17, 2009 11:44 am

I saw the preview for this movie and would like to see it. I’m afraid I would be the one sobbing so loudly that I would disturb other viewers. I think I’ll wait for the dvd.

11. December 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Sounds like despite the difficult subject matter you enjoyed the film very much!

12. December 17, 2009 12:10 pm

From what I’ve heard about the movie, it’s very powerful and moving. I think I’ll either read the book or rent the movie, though. I bawl easily. And it ain’t pretty.

Helen
    Straight From Hel

13. December 17, 2009 12:20 pm

I like that you saw the movie and read the book. I’m still on the fence about seeing this movie though.

14. December 17, 2009 12:34 pm

I really liked this movie too! I’m glad to hear your perspective after reading the book. Thanks!

15. December 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Good to know this movie was not a disappointment as compared to some movies that are based on popular books. I will definitely watch this one

16. December 17, 2009 12:47 pm

I’m glad you now saw the movie, and agree with what I said previous. Touchy nature but great film!

17. December 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Sounds like a wonderful movie, but one I’ll definitely be skipping. I love movies for their escapism, and this one just sounds like I’d become more emotionally involved in the characters than I’m comfortable with.

18. December 17, 2009 1:08 pm

The entire audience could be heard gasping in the scene that followed Precious bringing her baby home to the apartment. It’s a powerful movie, just as the book was. Thanks for your great review, Kathy!

19. December 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Have you read the book? I’m more interested in the book than the movie; I can handle much darker stuff in lit than in films. Weird, right?

20. December 17, 2009 2:50 pm

I always look forward to your terrific and insightful reviews, Kathy. And this one is no exception. Thank you.

21. December 17, 2009 2:53 pm

I’ve wanted to see this movie since NPR did a feature on it a few months ago. I still haven’t gotten around to it, mostly because I don’t want to sit in a theater and sob. It is, however, in my Netflix queue so I can cry in the privacy of my own home!

22. December 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I’ve seen the trailers and thought it looked good, but I don’t know if I could watch it….

23. December 17, 2009 3:36 pm

I’m going to read the book before I see this movie but it sounds like a good one for sure!

24. December 17, 2009 4:41 pm

This is one of those movies that I really want to see and will watch it soon.

25. December 17, 2009 6:24 pm

I’m fairly certain that I could read the book but not so sure about seeing the movie. Anything involving the abuse of a child would be hard for me to watch.

26. December 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Great job with the movie review as well. I’m sure reading and seeing this movie so close together wasn’t the happiest thing to do though.

27. December 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Thank goodness there’s a glimmer of hope in this movie.

Wonderful review of a film which I imagine is difficult to watch and review–though it sounds unforgettable.

28. stacybuckeye permalink
    December 17, 2009 9:09 pm

I’ve heard nothing but good things, but like the book, I will have to wait til after the holidays. I can’t have it ruining my Christmas cheer 🙂

29. December 17, 2009 9:11 pm

I’m not much of a movie person, so I hadn’t heard ot this one. It sounds worth check out, though.

30. Bellezza permalink
    December 17, 2009 9:37 pm

I saw the trailer for this film, and didn’t realize that it came from the novel Push. Thanks for enlightening me! My heart bleeds for the abused, and I don’t even think I could bear to watch it although I should.

31. December 17, 2009 10:37 pm

I don’t think I’m up for a sobfest. Besides, crying at movies always makes my contacts pop out.

32. December 17, 2009 11:18 pm

I really want to see this movie even though I know it will be hard to watch some of the scenes but I want to read the book first.

33. December 18, 2009 12:50 am

I know I wasn’t drawn to the book, just because it is such a hard and emotional topic. Do you think the movie was more difficult to watch than the book was to read?

34. December 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Loved this movie myself, and Gabourey Sidibe is so awesome!

35. December 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I’ve been a little on the fence about seeing this movie, but after reading your review of it and the original book, I definitely will see it. Thanks for printing the link to the interview with Sapphire. I found that enlightening, too.

36. December 21, 2009 4:19 pm

A friend of mine said this movie was almost brutal to watch, but that it was very, very good. I see that you have had much the same experience with it. I am almost positive that this movie will be up for a bevy of awards. I am planning on seeing it on video when it comes out.

37. December 22, 2009 10:06 am

I have trouble with depressing movies, so I’m glad this one offers a glimmer of hope! I’ll probably see it when it comes out on DVD.