December 16, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in your comment if you’re participating.)

Both of my words this week come from Roses by Leila Meacham.

1. caliche – “To enrich the soil, she scooped manure from the neighbor’s chicken pen and hauled sand by the bucketsful from behind the row of track houses where she lived to work into the caliche-striated ground.”

Caliche obviously has something to do with soil, but I wasn’t sure what.  It means a crust of calcium carbonate that forms on the stony soil of arid regions.

_____________________________________________________

2. paucity – “I didn’t connect the paucity of offspring to the inability of the reigning Toliver to procreate.”

Paucity means smallness of number.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. December 16, 2009 6:27 am

I never would have figured these words out. Very interesting but also never-hear-before words to me.

2. December 16, 2009 6:33 am

“Paucity” is very interesting! 🙂

3. December 16, 2009 6:40 am

For the first time since I started reading this weekly feature , I am really proud of myself for knowing these meanings 🙂 Though I use paucity , caliche I haven’t yet used any where .

4. December 16, 2009 7:04 am

Interesting words — I knew paucity but had no idea about the other one!

Here are my words:

5. December 16, 2009 7:41 am

Ohmygosh. You fill my dictionary Kath. Paucity is synonymous to scarcity then. Good one.

6. December 16, 2009 7:46 am

Glad to learn “caliche” — I’ve seen that on soil, but never knew what to call it. Now I know!

My lonely one word is here. 🙂

7. December 16, 2009 9:21 am

Good words! I found some familiar words this week used in new ways. Check them out here.

8. December 16, 2009 9:24 am

Caliche is what we have in our ground in Tucson instead of dirt. It’s the worst! It’s like soft rock that can be pounded into smithereens by the shovel, but otherwise is like solid rock, and you have to get it out in order to plant anything. So I spend almost every morning pounding on caliche. It is my most UNFAVORITE word!! :–)

9. December 16, 2009 9:30 am

I like the word paucity. My words this week: http://wordlily.com/2009/12/16/words-from-my-reading-29/

10. December 16, 2009 9:35 am

Great words this week Kathy. I will be looking forward to your review of this book at it has certainly caught my attention.

11. December 16, 2009 9:51 am

I didn’t know either of your words, but paucity made me smile. 🙂 Here are my words this week…http://westietherapy.blogspot.com/2009/12/wondrous-words-surrender-wind.html

12. December 16, 2009 10:08 am

I should have known caliche as I’ve seen soil like that.

You can find my words here.

13. December 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi!
    Have never heard either word. But I’m sure I’ll remember caliche, well maybe! Mine is posted at my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

Sherrie
    Just Books

14. December 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I hadn’t heard of caliche before either.

15. December 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Didn’t have any idea on those words! Looks like a fun novel too.

Here are mine: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/12/wondrous-words-wednesday_16.html

16. December 16, 2009 4:04 pm

How do authors find these crazy words to use in their writings????

17. December 16, 2009 4:40 pm

I never encountered caliche before. Great words for my list.

18. December 17, 2009 7:24 am

I’m all too familiar with caliche, after growing up in south Texas (there’s no paucity of caliche in south Texas). Don’t think I’ve ever seen it written before, so I’m glad to know how to spell it.