Why Oprah selected Say You’re One of Them

October 4, 2009

In her latest video about her newest book club selection, Say You’re One of Them by Ukem Akpan,  Oprah explains why she selected it.

After watching the video, I went back and re-read the ending of Fattening for Gabon, and Oprah’s right, the last sentence is heart wrenching.  I think it had more impact on me when I re-read it though.

1. October 4, 2009 6:17 am

Thanks for sharing this, Kathy!

2. October 4, 2009 11:12 am

Short story collections are very rarely my type of read, but I might have to read this one…

3. October 4, 2009 11:47 am

I haven’t read this one yet, but it’s on my wish list. I should pick it up soon, tho, because I love short stories.

4. October 4, 2009 1:45 pm

At first, I had to go back and refamiliarize myself with the story. Then I said “Oh yeah, THAT one!”. I’m pretty sure, when I originally read this (was on vacation in Poland), I read the last sentence, shut off my Kindle and said “Oh my God. I can’t read this anymore.” I am enjoying these posts you are doing on this book. But it’s weird. While this book deeply touched Oprah, it really got me down. I feel like I’m missing something maybe, but I honestly don’t know if I could read this book again. I’m not a weak-kneed person, but this one about did me in.

5. October 4, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing, Kathy! I’ve had a copy of this one sitting in my TBR collection for several months now, waiting its turn. I’m looking forward to eventually getting to it.

6. October 4, 2009 8:03 pm

This is on my list to read.

7. October 4, 2009 8:34 pm

I’m debating listening to this on audio. Opinion either way?

8. October 5, 2009 4:17 pm

I really want to read this book, and have been hearing such good things about it. It looks like a greatly moving read.