Thinking About Community

August 30, 2009

blog-community

I’m on two Book Blogger Appreciation Week panels and, as I’ve been working on my spreadsheets, I’ve been thinking about what I can do to improve this wonderful community.  Since I don’t have the ideas or the energy of My Friend Amy, I came up with a list of some small things I can do.  I’ve been doing some of these things all along, but I’ve been hit or miss on some of the others.  So, I’m going to try to be more conscientious about doing the following:

• When I purchase something from amazon, Barnes & Noble, or an indie bookstore, I will try to find a blogger who is an associate of that site and go through them.
  • I will fave blogs that I love to read on Technorati.  I don’t understand Technorati, but I’ve been told having someone fave you is a good thing.
  • When I read a quality post, I will Stumble it.  Stumble Upon is another site I don’t understand, but I do know that when some of my posts have been stumbled, it’s resulted in anywhere from a few hits to hundreds of hits for that post.
  • I will give credit to and link to others when appropriate.   When I add a book to my wish list, I’ll need to list the blog name where I discovered it as well as the title and author, so that I can say who inspired me to read the book.
  • I will comment on posts I’ve enjoyed reading and on new blogs I’ve discovered.

Do you have any other ideas or suggestions to add to my list?

1. August 30, 2009 7:08 am

I always try to visit posts when I see them on Twitter. 🙂

2. August 30, 2009 7:14 am

You have some great goals. I don’t know how to use or have I heard of Technorati. I don’t know how to use Stumble it either. Boy, I have some learning to do.:)

3. August 30, 2009 7:18 am

I’m pretty useless when it comes to stumbling, technorati-ing, twitting, etc. I feel like I am on overload already. But I will agree with you, reviewing all of these blogs as a panelist does tend to make you think about improvements doesn’t it? It makes me hang my head in shame almost at how unsophisticated I am!

4. August 30, 2009 7:45 am

I think that’s a good list. I’ve never heard of some of them so you’ve given me some homework. Also, I think you do a great job with your comments!

5. August 30, 2009 8:18 am

Two panels is incredible! I did one, and almost went insane with all the work!

I agree with you and the other commenters – technorati-ing and stumble-ing are still mysteries to me. Maybe we could suggest it as a BBAW week post to do for someone who knows The Secret Mysteries of these!

6. August 30, 2009 8:20 am

Your list is excellent. I agree with you about Technorati and StumbleUpon. I do not understand them. One of my own personal goals is to add a comment to each of the posts I read (even a small comment) rather than read and pass on to the next one on my Reader.

7. August 30, 2009 8:23 am

I really like the idea of adding the link when I put a book in my TBR. I get frustrated when I can’t remember who recommended it.

The only problem, though, is when I do remember and I didn’t like the book! It just makes me feel a little awkward.

8. August 30, 2009 8:24 am

Kathy, those are some great goals, and I think it is great that you are so involved in the awards process. I can’t think of anything to add to your list.

I wish I was more computer savvy. I do not know how to: twitter, stumble or have a clue what technorati is–guess i should try to find out. (You are my inspiration LOL)

9. August 30, 2009 8:51 am

What an absolutely fantastic list of easy to do ways to build community. How hard is it to remember to hit the Stumble or Technorati button?

It is also easy to take note of who recommended the book I’m reading or where I read a good review.

And yes for using affiliate links.

I’ll add another really easy thing that your post made me think of: I think I’ll try to remember to tweet when I read a good review or good discussion post. I try to do this, but I know I also forget.

Thanks for this list and I’m going to save it and do the same.

10. August 30, 2009 9:04 am

Kathy, I agree that this is a great list and Kudos to you for volunteering to be on two panels for BBAW. I am on Twitter but have not figured out Stumble or Technorati.

11. August 30, 2009 10:08 am

A number of very good ideas there, ones all us blogger would do well to follow. I do try and be careful about linking..and while I too am not to sure how Stumble or Technorati work…as Beth said, how hard is to it hit a button and give credit for someone’s good work.

…a number of good ideas there…

12. August 30, 2009 10:09 am

These are fabulous ideas Kathy, I agree we can all support and contribute every day by participating and showing encouragement. I think you already do this in spades but kudos for making more of a concerted effort. 🙂

13. August 30, 2009 10:11 am

Great ideas! I always like to tweet great blog posts I find too.

I always buy things through my favourite bloggers affilate links. Some of them probably wonder who is buying bikes + electricals through them!

14. August 30, 2009 10:22 am

What a great list. They are small & easy things to do and yet at same time so easy to miss. I always try to link to blogs when I review if I got the book rec from them. But I do need to get better at highlighting reviews other than mine on my posts. I do also try to use the Amazon link of someone else when I buy from them…but admittedly this is something else I could be better at.

Thanks for your list. I might have to print this out and tape it some where close as an added reminder that its the little things that people can do that can make a big difference. As Margret Weis/Tracy Hickham wrote, ‘In the vastness of the ocean, is any drop of water greater than another? No single drop has the ability to cause a tidal wave. But, I argue, if a single drop falls into the ocean, it creates ripples. And these ripples spread. And perhaps – who knows – these ripples may grow and swell and eventually break foaming upon the shore. Like a drop in the vast ocean, each of us causes ripples as we move through our lives. The effects of whatever we do – insignificant as it may seem – spread out beyond us. We may never know what far-reaching impact even the simplest action might have on our fellow mortals. Thus, we need to be conscious, all of the time, of our place in the ocean, of our place in the world, of our place among our fellow creatures. For, if enough of us join forces, we can swell the tide of events – for good or evil.’

15. August 30, 2009 10:50 am

Kathy,
    This is a great list, and I think important things we can all do better at to support our book blogging community.
    I agree with other comments about Tweeting good posts, and for myself, I need to be better about adding blogs I regularly read and subscribe to, to my blog roll so my readers can be sure to find other bloggers.

16. August 30, 2009 10:50 am

Those are all excellent and simple things that I could be doing as well. Thank you for the nudge.

It’s not necessary to really understand Technorati and StumbleUpon in order to use it, but it is necessary to have a (free) account. I think that’s what stops a lot of people from using them. I hereby resolve to change my behavior and stop using them.

It’s also difficult to comment, favorite, stumble, tweet blog posts when you read from an RSS reader, so I will try to click through and do that more often.

Thanks for the inspiration!

17. August 30, 2009 11:11 am

I always choose a different blogger’s affliate link when I purchase books. If it was a particular blogger who made you buy the book, then it makes sense to use theirs. And linking when you mention names/posts is not only nice but I think a little lazy/rude when people don’t. Everybody appreciates a little link love right?

I need to become better at stumbling posts/technorati them. I always forget even though I just changed my own “share this” buttons on my site. And something else that I need to get better at is leaving comments instead of scanning my reader. I always fall short of the goals that I make for myself.

I really like to tweet posts that I find interesting as well. I think it’s a good way to let others know about the great post you’ve just read.

18. August 30, 2009 11:26 am

Wow! Fantastic post!!! I am going to make an attempt to do all of them too. Thanks for inspiring me!

19. August 30, 2009 11:34 am

Great ideas! Not much to add… I should be better at the linking, and remembering who inspired me to pick up whatever book it was. Though, I’m not sure how much someone would appreciate the link if I didn’t like the book they loved…

20. August 30, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for sharing! There are a few things on there (I’m sad to say) that I’ve never done b/c I didn’t understand them as well, such as the Technorati and the Stumble Upon links. I think it’s important to learn as much as we can to improve our blogs as well as others. Thanks so much for posting! It’s helped!

🙂

21. August 30, 2009 11:50 am

That is a great list you have, and right now, I cannot think of anything you could add. Like you, I do not understand Stumble Upon or Technorati. I’ve played around a bit with Stumble Upon, but I think I somehow removed the icons in the navigation bar. I need to see if I can find it again. Technorati I just gave up on. Couldn’t figure out what it was. I do not consider myself techno-savvy at all, but neither completely dumb. But since I cannot even figure out how to see how many visits I have on my blog (and its supposed to be easy) I am steering clear of those other tools, I am afraid. But I definitely need to get more into them.

I think it is a good idea to note down the name and blog address of the blogger giving a book recommandation, and I will try to do that as well, if I end up getting and reading the book.

🙂

22. August 30, 2009 11:57 am

Kathy, I think you are doing just fine!

23. August 30, 2009 12:11 pm

These are excellent ideas that we all should be doing. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

24. August 30, 2009 12:18 pm

this list made me feel warm and fuzzy just reading it. :O) These are really great community builders and this blogger thanks you! I had NO idea that there WERE book bloggers when I started mine a few months ago. I sort of planned to do this for myself, friends and family. NOW I think I mostly review to share with other bloggers. Even though all of our taste range far and wide, I love reading everyone’s posts. thanks for this list. 🙂

25. August 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Great ideas. I’m going to have to check out Technorati and Stumble even tho’ I don’t really understand them either!

I have an award for you at:

26. August 30, 2009 12:47 pm

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who doesn’t really understand how SU and Technorati work! I do need to be better about all of the things on your list.

You already inspire me to be a better commenter, Kathy. Thanks for this list!

27. August 30, 2009 12:49 pm

This is why I love you. You are already top notch at everything and still want to improve. 🙂

28. August 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Excellent list! It’s good to remember that there are so many small things we can do to help our blogging community.

Lezlie

29. August 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Those sound like some great community-building strategies. I really need to use StumbleUpon more myself; I signed up a few weeks ago with the intention of stumbling all the great posts I come across, but I’ve still got to figure out how the site works so I can make better use of it.

30. justicejenniferreads permalink
    August 30, 2009 3:26 pm

This is a wonderful post with some great ideas. I actually didn’t really know about all these things. I try to be good about commenting but that’s really all I do right now. I do use stumbleupon even though I don’t always get it so I’ll make sure and mark posts/blogs I like so they can get the appreciation they deserve! I should also try to keep track of where I heard of books so people can get the credit they deserve for there wonderful reviews. Unfortunately, I’m not really sure how to do this in an easy/manageable way. What do you suggest? I was thinking of making an excel spreadsheet or something of the link, but that seems like a lot of work. Plus I’m not always on my laptop when I’m blogging.

31. August 30, 2009 4:36 pm

I think those are great ideas. I don’t understand technorati or even stumbling. Maybe we all need a tutorial.

32. August 30, 2009 4:51 pm

These are some really great ideas. I was just thinking it could be time consuming discovering which bloggers are associates of different online bookstores. I would like to support them, too. I could do a post asking people to let me know if they are associates and I could list them in the sidebar. What do you think?

33. August 30, 2009 4:53 pm

I could use a tutorial on how to use stumble, twitter, technorati, etc. Actually anything but blogging and facebook.

34. August 30, 2009 5:14 pm

geez, I haven’t a clue regarding other “ways” to open up the blog world but thanks for mentioning Stumble It. Fascinating. Going back there now.

35. August 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Aw, you’re a darling. I’ve StumbleUpon’ed posts before but haven’t in awhile. StumbleUpon confuses me too.

36. August 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Sounds like a wonderful plan, Kathy! I do some of those things already too. I just started using Stumble Upon and am trying to figure it out. I just need to remember to use it at this point.

37. August 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Hon, I think you have already succeeded in helping the blogging community. You are a shining example of what the rest of us should do.

38. August 30, 2009 6:25 pm

These are wonderful things to do. I need to make it a point to do them as well!

39. August 30, 2009 7:47 pm

That’s an excellent list of ideas. I’ll join the ranks of those that don’t really understand the finer details of Technorati and StumbleUpon. I do, however, have a Technorati account and it seems like a pretty basic task to go and favorite my favorites even if I don’t quite understand what I’m doing! Maybe one of these days I’ll even go see what StumbleUpon is all about and get in on that, too. Thanks for this reminder of the simple things we can do to give our community a boost! 🙂

40. August 30, 2009 7:55 pm

I think you’re doing well, Kathy.
    Those are great ideas… I need to explore Stumble Upon since I’ve not heard of it. 😉

41. August 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Frankly, I think you are already darned terrific. I don’t understand any of this either. I can tell you that StumbleUp is the thing that always makes the biggest difference in my own (small) readership. Not saying that for my sake, only for the sake of others who will benefit from your generosity.

42. August 30, 2009 8:14 pm

The Amazon Associates thing is a great idea! Because, you don’t get credit on your AA account if you buy directly yourself. So, you might as well give it to an AA.

I really liked this post.

Sheri

43. August 30, 2009 8:16 pm

This is a great post & you have some great ideas there. Thanks for writing about community, which is what blogging is all about!

44. August 30, 2009 8:30 pm

I visit a lot of sites through Twitter. I too need to work on using StumbleUpon and Technorati more. I have accounts but rarely if ever use them. I do Retweet and tweet links though all the time.

45. August 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Great ideas! Will try to use Technorati more often, but I don’t really understand Stumble Upon. And I like the idea about linking to give credit where credit is due. Thanks for the great post!

46. August 30, 2009 10:01 pm

What a wonderful post! I love the book blog community and you do such a wonderful job currently with what I would call your words on encouragement when you comment on posts! 🙂

I dont really get stumble up or techna…. (whats it again?) either but I have signed on for both because as you said, they are suppose to be important.

47. WinterWrite permalink
    August 30, 2009 11:44 pm

These are great ideas! I’m a new book reviewer, and I’m going to try to incorporate these to support my fellow book bloggers. I haven’t used Technorati very much, but I’ll be sure to check it out.

48. stacybuckeye permalink
    August 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Just want to say that I appreciate all you hard work! And I don’t understand Technorati or Stumble either, although I’m signed up on both!

49. August 31, 2009 12:30 am

Thank you for posting this! I’m still learning about this sort of stuff and really appreciate your help and ideas. (Technorati is a “tough nut to crack”. I’ve been on Technorati for several months, and have barely scratched the surface. And I don’t know how to add my second blog to Technorati.)

50. August 31, 2009 1:59 am

Good ideas, we all should try it. I’ve tried using stumble upon, but couldn’t quite get into it. Will try it again though.

51. August 31, 2009 6:48 am

I think it’s very sweet of you to want to do more, but let me tell you, you already do SO much! I see your comments everywhere!

I go through phases with Stumbleupon…sometimes I use it a lot, and then I forget about it for months. I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

52. August 31, 2009 7:32 am

I think those are all great ideas–ones that I’m sometimes good about doing and sometimes not. I guess I go through phases. Lately it would just be good if I could get out and comment more but I just haven’t had time to read blogs as much lately 😦 But now I’m planning to try to devote at least a half hour to it every evening after I get home from work, and I’m hoping I’ll get back in my groove.

Thanks for all that you already do!!!

53. August 31, 2009 7:57 am

Ironic, right? I read this post in my feed reader, thought, wow, that’s great, and then moved on. Now I’m back, though!

54. August 31, 2009 9:20 am

You have some wonderful goals although you do so much now, my head spins. You are truly an inspiration.

It’s a relief to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t understand stumbleUp and technorati. Don’t even get me started on Twitter. I have no clue!! Yep, clueless in FL, that’s me. But, thanks to you I did learn how to put my signature on a post.

55. August 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I have nothing to add except to say I’m right there with you. Not sure how Technorati or Stumble work but I always click on that stuff. What harm could it do , right?

I have been trying to keep track of where I read books I like or recommendation,s but I’m afraid I will get it wrong if I cite it, and someone will be upset. I wouldn’t be upset but you know how some people can be.

The link thing is definitely do-able 🙂

And we appreciate all your hard work B! I hope you know that.

56. August 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Those are some great ideas! I have no idea how to use Stumble or Technorati either. If only I had more time to be online…and it’ll be even less time now that The Girl is back in school.

–Anna

57. Carol permalink
    August 31, 2009 2:22 pm

What great ideas. I don’t have any others to share, but you definitely have motivated me.

58. August 31, 2009 5:04 pm

Kathy,
    I really like the ideas you came up with. I never thought to click the stumble button or technorati one. I signed up there but still don’t really understand it myself. I’m definitely going to be taking a lot of what you said to heart and try to do it too!! I think that you’re the Queen of Comments and just an awesome part of the book blogging community!! 🙂

59. August 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I’m not sure if I would have the energy to do all of that, and I would probably place sticky notes all over the place to remember those goals.

I don’t understand Technorati or StumbleIt either, but at some point, it will all be clear to me. You’re doing something wonderful for the community. Good luck. =)

60. August 31, 2009 8:55 pm

I dnt understand Technoarti/Stumble! Though i like the sound of stumble!

I leave comments wherever i go! and this is something i need to think about. Good points you have made!

61. August 31, 2009 10:51 pm

I really need to find a way to remember (and credit) where I first saw a book. I write it down, but then I forget where I wrote it. 🙂

Another tip…never move your blog after submitting links to a panel. 😦

62. Kim permalink
    September 1, 2009 7:39 am

Thank you for this post. I do not understand stumble on or technorati (sp?) & I’m still trying to figure out this whole blogging thing, but buying something that I was going to but on Amazon through an affiliates link sounds pretty easy. I will start to look for these.

63. September 1, 2009 9:49 am

Those are some great goals…I just started using stumble it again and find that it helps others get traffic. I should start telling my readers to stumble my posts…lol

I use twitter to post about articles I enjoy as well as my hubbub feature.

I don’t understand technorati, but I will try to figure out how to favorite you and some others.

Also, I would suggest linking to others’ reviews when you review the same book. I’ve done that and it has helped generate more traffic to other sites and my own when there is a link exchange.

I hope that helps.

64. September 1, 2009 1:51 pm

Terrific list. I think you are the best example of bettering the book blogging community.

65. September 2, 2009 8:30 am

i’m with you on keeping track of who suggested what–my summer reading challenge was great because i linked bloggers to their suggestions. but recently i’ve been reading a ton of non-challenge books that were suggested by bloggers…but i don’t remember who! 😦 i want to thank some of them but don’t remember where i read about a specific book.

ps. as for improving, i think you’re a GREAT community builder with all your encouraging comments. you somehow seem to be everywhere! 🙂

66. September 2, 2009 9:21 am

I second Nat – you’re an awesome community builder with all the comments you leave!

I like that you’ve made a list; for me, that’s always the first step toward making sure something gets done. Off to make my own list … thanks for the push, Kathy!

67. September 4, 2009 10:52 am

I never thought about going through a blogger when buying on Amazon — that’s a great idea!

68. September 4, 2009 3:07 pm

I think all of your ideas are great. I see your comments wherever I go and I’m so impressed with how connected you are! As a new blogger still learning and trying to figure things out everyday, your suggestions and ideas are great for me. I’m going to look into Technorati and Stumble and now I know to go through a blogger if I can when buying a book and if I blog about a book who recommendation I got from a blogger, I’ll be sure to reference them.

There’s a lot to learn for a “newbie” like me but I’m loving it all. I would like to say that if I do something questionable, don’t do something I should, say something I shouldn’t in a comment or forget to credit a blogger or anything else etc. etc., please let me know, please!

~ A

69. September 8, 2009 8:31 pm

I think these are fantastic ideas …. I think I shall adopt some of them myself. I too have struggled with the concepts of Technocrati and Stumble Upon … but I guess it can’t hurt. Well done!

70. September 9, 2009 10:43 pm

Oh, such good ideas. Personally, I’m trying to become a better commenter – I love receiving them, so it’s about time I start leaving them! Keeping track of the name of the person who inspires you to read a book is a great idea as well. Thanks!