The Time Traveler’s Wife

August 28, 2009

time-travelers-wife-movie-poster-02

When Henry (played by Eric Bana) was six years old, his mother was killed in a car accident that he miraculously survived.  It was at that time that he learned he was a time traveler.  (It was never explained, but I assumed that’s how he survived the accident.)  Time traveling might be fun, except that he has no control over where and when he goes and he leaves his clothes behind.  Arriving naked somewhere can definitely cause some problems!  Through the years, he visits Claire (played by Rachel McAdams) and she falls in love with him.  He tells her that they will have a life together when they meet as adults.    The Time Traveler’s Wife is the story of their life together.

I haven’t read The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, but the friend I saw the movie with has.   I think I enjoyed the movie more than she did because I had no expectations.  I found the movie to be sweet and romantic (it is ultimately a love story) but a little confusing at times.  As an adult, Henry looked the same (same hairstyle, same five o’clock shadow) no matter how old he was supposed to be.  I couldn’t figure out how two Henrys (Henry at different ages) could be in the same place at the same time.  There were a couple little twists to the story that did add some interest.  I think this movie will definitely appeal to women more than men – there were ten people in the theater and  all of us were women.  I thought this movie was good, but not great.  It has piqued my interest in reading the book, though, because I’m sure it’s better.

1. August 28, 2009 6:52 am

You’re not the first to say that they really didn’t do a good job making Henry look the different ages he was supposed to be. I haven’t watched the movie, but I think I can safely say the book is better, yes 😛

2. August 28, 2009 6:55 am

Hey! I thought I was the only one that hadn’t read the book! I’ve heard from just about everybody that the movie was just average, but many people feel the book is one of their favorites. I bought the book back in the spring, planning to read it before the movie came out, but there it still sits!

3. August 28, 2009 7:07 am

I can’t wait to see this, I’m literally stalking the movies website here to see when it’s releasing.

4. August 28, 2009 7:22 am

I read this book when it first came out and really liked it! I don’t have a whole lot of desire to see the movie though because I think I will be disappointed! I almost always think a book is better than a movie.

5. August 28, 2009 7:36 am

Like Julie, I don’t really have a desire to see the movie. I read the book 3 years ago. I can see where the movie would be confusing, I remember being confused reading the book too!

6. August 28, 2009 8:01 am

Oh yes, I would definitely recommend reading the book. I read the book first because I wanted to see the movie. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting – but I really enjoyed it.

7. August 28, 2009 8:12 am

Look for my name in the credits next time. I was Eric’s assistant for the film 🙂

8. August 28, 2009 8:29 am

I am worried now. I absolutely loved the book and the film just doesn’t sound as good as the book.

9. August 28, 2009 8:45 am

I have heard a lot of “meh” or “awful” reviews of this movie that I’m going to wait until it’s out on DVD. I’m glad that you were able to enjoy it. Since I’ve read the book, I feel even better about waiting until I can rent it.

10. August 28, 2009 8:45 am

Now I’m glad I didn’t read the book. I saw the trailer for the movie and I want to see it. Your review gives me a better idea of what to watch out for. Thanks.

11. August 28, 2009 8:45 am

I read the book years ago after it first came out and loved it. It’s one of my favorites. I have heard mixed reviews on the movie and still want to see it. It doesn’t bother me that all movies based on books don’t stay completely faithful to the book. I find that I can usually appreciate a movie for what it is, seperate from the book.

12. August 28, 2009 8:53 am

I loved the book!!! I haven’t seen the movie yet. I wonder if you’ll like the book as much now that you know what happens.

13. August 28, 2009 9:05 am

At least I’m not the only person who hasn’t read the book! I’m looking for a copy, but haven’t found one yet. Maybe I’ll watch the movie first.

14. August 28, 2009 9:09 am

I have not read the book, nor have I seen the movie. I did not think I would like them as I’m not big on time travel 😦 Glad you liked the movie.

15. August 28, 2009 9:11 am

I loved the book. It’s one of my favorites. I loved the structure of it. At the time it came out, it was new and unique. I haven’t seen the movie. Someone who saw it thought it didn’t measure up to the book, so I’ve avoided seeing it. I may when it comes out on DVD, though.

Helen
    Straight From Hel

16. August 28, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks for this review. I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews about this movie from people who have read the book. I think I might wait until it comes out on DVD.

17. August 28, 2009 11:11 am

I read this book when it first came out. It was loaned to me from a friend and I often wish I have my own copy–so that means I liked it. I don’t think it fits in what some might imagine a typical “time travel” book.

I can imagine how difficult it would be to translate a book like this to the movie! Interesting thoughts on the movie.

18. August 28, 2009 1:00 pm

That’s funny about the theater. It was like that for Julie and Julia too, even though it was on a weekend and the movie was crowded. There were a few men, but mostly women!

19. August 28, 2009 1:48 pm

I haven’t seen this movie or read the book yet. Glad to know this is a good movie.

20. August 28, 2009 1:50 pm

I also saw the movie, without having read the book. I certainly enjoyed it, but had a bit of a hard time with the time travel concept, like some of the characters in the movie. I know other movies and authors also use time travel extensively, such as writer Diane Galbadon (I have Outlander in my TBR stack), and realize I must get over my “hang up” soon, because I feel as if I’m missing out.

21. August 28, 2009 1:59 pm

I haven’t seen the movie and don’t plan to, and really didn’t like the book. I was considering going to the movie but read so many bad reviews I gave up on it. Your comments were pretty consistent with most of the nicer reviews! 🙂

22. sarahpekkanen permalink
    August 28, 2009 3:13 pm

I haven’t read the book or seen the movie, but I keep hearing the book is much better. I think you’re wise to see the movie first so you don’t feel let down!
    I wish I could see it but have three young kids and no time for movies right now, though I miss them dearly. First I’d see Julie and Julia (loved that book), then this one.

23. August 28, 2009 3:25 pm

I haven’t read the book either, but like Sarah, I’ve heard that the book is a lot better. I’ll probably hold off seeing it, until I read the book.

~ Popin

24. August 28, 2009 4:02 pm

I am glad you enjoyed the movie! I think the book will probably win over the movie for me, but I still want to see it. My husband read the book as well, and he is really excited to see the movie, so when we do I will come back and let you know what I thought.

25. August 28, 2009 4:04 pm

The book was much, much, much, much better. The movie was just okay, the book was stellar.

I’m still ticked they changed the ending. The book’s ending was perfect.

26. August 28, 2009 5:35 pm

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but the book is absolutely wonderful. It’s one of those chunksters you read in no time flat.

27. August 28, 2009 9:39 pm

I read the book so I will probably have some small issues with the movie but that’s usaually the case with adaptations. Who knows though, one benefit of my bad memory is that I read the book so long ago I forget half the plot. Perhaps I will watch the movie and it will all seem new to me 😀
    (glad I’m finally able to visit your blog again)

28. stacybuckeye permalink
    August 29, 2009 12:12 am

I saw the movie last weekend and thought it was ok. I haven’t read the book either, but plan to get round to sooner rather than later, I think.

29. August 29, 2009 12:46 am

The book is great. I made my boyfriend read it just so we could go see the movie together. The book was not his style, so I definitely agree with your assumption that it’s a bit of a chick flick, but not in the fluffy way.

30. August 29, 2009 10:48 am

I loved the book, but I really enjoyed the movie too. I’m not to critical a movie watcher so that probably helps.

31. August 29, 2009 11:13 am

Tomorrow is my day with no men so I’ve been trying to figure out what movie I should see. This one or Julie/Julia? Heck, maybe I will go see both of them!!

32. August 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I saw the movie last weekend and LOVED it. I am halfway through the book now. My husband was told that it’s the type of story that you want to see the movie before reading the book. I agree. The book seems like it would be more confusing and is different enough that those who love the book might be disappointed in the movie. Either way, the concept of time travel and free will and such hurts the brain to contemplate too much.

33. August 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks for the review Kathy…I’m hoping I will be able to read this one before I see the movie.

34. August 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I think this is a movie that might be good to go into without expectations; I loved the book, and I’m afraid the movie is going to be disappointing! At the same time, the book is really complicated, so knowing some of that plot might be helpful in understanding the movie. I’ll have a better idea once I see the movie… next week maybe?

35. August 29, 2009 5:21 pm

I’m glad to see you enjoyed it! I read the book and thought it was STUNNING, so I’m a little leary of the film.

36. August 29, 2009 8:21 pm

I don’t often go to see movies but I was considering going to see this one. I liked the book so now I am a bit wary of seeing the movie considering all of the bad reviews I have read.

I also have an award for you here.

37. Bellezza permalink
    August 30, 2009 1:24 pm

The book was one of my favorite reads the year I read it; I think two years ago. But, when you’re reading such a novel, you have to suspend any ideas you have of keeping the character’s appearance in order. It’s impossible with Henry! He comes and goes so quickly! I had to just go with the story, which worked out fine. I can’t imagine how one can follow it with a movie, but then again I’ve always been better at reading than watching films. Must have something to do with how they were basically forbidden in my childhood… 😉

38. justicejenniferreads permalink
    August 30, 2009 3:30 pm

I’ve been hearing so much hype about the book that when the movie came out, I felt excited even though I haven’t read the book. I haven’t gotten around to seeing it, but reviews say it was mildly disappointing. What book made into movie isn’t? Still, I find that sometimes seeing these movies before you read the book can make them all the more interesting and enjoyable because, as you said, there are no expectations. I was hoping to see this one in theatres, but it looks like I’ll be waiting to catch it on DVD (no time!).

39. August 30, 2009 7:49 pm

I need to read the book soon! And of course, I’ll have to watch the movie! 😉

40. August 31, 2009 12:39 pm

I read the book so many years ago, I only remember bits and pieces of it. I’d probably love the movie. We say 500 Days of Summer this weekend. Seemed really long…lots of talking. I think I’m too old for movies all filled with 20-30-something relationship angst. *sigh…its hot, its smoky, I think I’m in the doldrums….

41. August 31, 2009 2:02 pm

I’ve heard good things about the book and mixed reviews for the movie. Hmm… I think I want to read the book first, but the movie does look really good.

–Anna

42. August 31, 2009 8:51 pm

I haven’t read the book either and i like to read a book before the movie 🙂 SO i will get the book first 🙂

43. September 2, 2009 4:14 pm

I read the book and loved it…now I really want to watch the movie even though I know some people didn’t like it, and said the book was much better. It’s that way most of the time anyways.