Books Bought

August 25, 2009

booksboughtmemeMichaelmade2009

Books Bought is a meme hosted by Cindy of Cindy’s Love of Books.  Some marketing genius at Simon & Schuster offered a free e-version of Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld.  I downloaded it and put it on my Kindle – Carl read it and has been hooked on the series.  He didn’t enjoy the e-reading experience that much, so he bought:

Movies seem to be influencing my book purchases – I bought:

I’m going to see The Time Traveler’s Wife today, so that will probably be the next book I acquire.

Have you bought any new books lately?

books bought

1. August 25, 2009 9:11 am

Oh, you haven’t read The Time Traveler’s Wife yet, I would definitely recommend reading.

I just picked up The White Queen this weekend.

2. August 25, 2009 9:12 am

Good books u have acquired this week. Scott Westerfield ‘s series is really good. I am sure u will enjoy Life In France.

3. August 25, 2009 9:13 am

I love the Uglies series! Great buy!

4. August 25, 2009 9:25 am

I’ve been contemplating buying The Time Traveler’s Wife, too! I owned it a few years ago, read a few pages and just couldn’t jump into it. I’m wondering if I would enjoy it more now — when I’m older and no longer a student, all stressed-out and crazy!

This week I bought Charlaine Harris’s Dead Until Dark and Joyce Maynard’s Labor Day. I have a feeling I’ll be buying a few more later today, too! 🙂

5. August 25, 2009 9:28 am

I buy too many new books! LOL! And they lead to more. The newest are a complete short stories of Kafka because of J.M. Coetzee’s book, Elizabeth Costello, and The Complete Short Stories of Flannery O’Connor because of my Teaching Company DVDs. Someday, right? 🙂

Lezlie

6. August 25, 2009 9:31 am

I just finished Nefertiti by Michelle Moran, which I bought at my favorite local independent book store in The Noke. I really enjoyed it.

I’ve heard bad things about The Time Traveler’s Wife, which is why I ended up not going this past weekend. I’ll be curious to see what you think about it. I’m starting the author’s follow up novel, Her Fearful Symmetry, today and cannot wait. It’s an ARC, so I didn’t buy it. So, I guess I’m batting 500 for your Bought Books post. LOL! 🙂

7. August 25, 2009 9:49 am

I’m avoiding Uglies for now exactly because I know it will make me want the rest of the series, and right now I can’t buy them. But this just goes to show how effective a marketing move a free e-book is!

8. August 25, 2009 9:56 am

I loved Uglies and I already have a copy of Pretties but for some reason I’m unable to get into it. I have tried reading it twice.

I hope Carl enjoys them though.

9. August 25, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for taking part in my books bought meme Kathy.

I have The Time Traveler’s Wife on my TBR pile. I bought it when it first came out and sadly that was the year my dad died so I was stressed and never got to read it. Perhaps I will have to bring it out of TBR land to read.

Every time I got to Chapters I pick up Scott’s books I know one day I will cave and buy it.

Happy Reading. I am going into my 3rd week of no books bought but I am thinking I will end up breaking that this week when I am out buying goodies for my blogoversary.

10. August 25, 2009 11:07 am

I’ve always wanted to read Scott Westerfeld, especially the book Pretties. It looks really good. Thank you for mentioning the Uglies tip, I’m downloading it now.

~ Popin

11. August 25, 2009 12:06 pm

It’s a slippery slope, isn’t it, when you walk into a bookstore with a coupon? They’ve got my number. I have TTW on my shelves, waiting for me to find time to give it the attention it deserves. Don’t when that will be though! I get a tear in my eye just seeing that you bought My Life in France. It makes me wistful. I loved that book with all my heart.

12. August 25, 2009 12:11 pm

I have not purchased any books lately but I plan to treat myself to The Time Traveler’s Wife when my bday hits next month.

13. August 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Wow, movies are influencing you! Looks like some great books.

14. August 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I just bought two books for the Japanese Literature Challenge. I think I’ll go to the library soon to find Julia Child’s first cookbook (although they may not have it right now)–I’m also influenced by the movie I recently saw!

Enjoy your books!

15. August 25, 2009 1:00 pm

I have The Time Traveler’s Wife in the TBR pile here but I think I will skip the movie. Curious what you think of it, the movie that is.

16. August 25, 2009 1:02 pm

I love Uglies, Pretties, and then Specials and Extras. They’re the kind of stories we all found hard to put down, at my house.

I just bought a paperback copy of Julie Powell’s book–didn’t buy Julia’s French memoir yet!

17. August 25, 2009 1:19 pm

I’d like to hear an update on your Kindle experience. It sounds like you like using it. I wonder about reading off of a screen….

I thought My Life in France would be interesting too, after seeing the movie! What a surprise her relationship with her husband turned out to be!

18. August 25, 2009 1:51 pm

I’m reading “Queen of the Road” by Doreen Orion. It is fabulously funny and extremely well written.
    Karen Walker

19. August 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Fabulous books this week. I can’t wait to hear all about them. I really need to read the Scott Westerfield books.

20. August 25, 2009 3:09 pm

I love that your husband is getting into reading! How sweet!

21. August 25, 2009 4:54 pm

I am excited about getting a chance to see The Time Traveler’s Wife, although from the previews, it looks like they have changed some of it. Will you be posting your thoughts on the movie? If so, I’ll be interested to hear what you thought because I haven’t heard much about people’s reactions to it.

22. August 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Have I bought any new books lately?! My husband swears there are books that arrive in the mail every single day. That’s a bit of an over exaggeration, but not as much as it should be. I need to slow down but I’m sorely tempted whenever I read a glowing review on someone’s blog. Tell me I’m not alone!

23. stacybuckeye permalink
    August 25, 2009 5:45 pm

I love that Carl love the Uglies!!! He’s very hip.

24. August 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Public Enemies sounds like it would be a real good book to read. I picked up The Glass Castle at our Goodwill last week, but now I am on a quest for Three Cups of Tea.

25. August 25, 2009 7:50 pm

My honey wanted a copy of The Pretties as well as he’s reading the free e-book version of The Uglies. We went to the bookstore today, but they were out of The Pretties. Wow, it really is a good marketing strategy.

I hope Carl and you are enjoying your books. =)

26. August 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Sounds like great stuff to me!!!

27. August 25, 2009 10:56 pm

I loved Time Traveler’s Wife. Eager to hear your review. I plan on buying a few books next month.. I am trying to see if there is a Kindle in my future too!

28. August 26, 2009 2:05 am

I didn’t buy anything this week. But I bought last week Nefertiti. I am almost finishing that one… let me see if i can download Uglies 🙂 Thank u for reminding about the free download

29. August 26, 2009 7:12 am

You have some good reading ahead of you: Time Traveler’s Wife and My Life in France!

30. August 26, 2009 9:24 am

I never imaged I be interested in a story about Julia Child’s life until I read Julia and Julia and saw the movie — i may have to buy or borrow this one too. enjoy

31. August 26, 2009 10:12 am

Great books Kathy! I’m looking forward to your review of My Life in France. I’m making a list for my next book buying splurge!

32. August 26, 2009 12:06 pm

The Uglies series is awesome! 🙂 I’m in the middle of My Life in France and loving it too.

33. August 26, 2009 12:14 pm

That’s funny that Carl is reading the same series as my daughter!

34. August 26, 2009 8:27 pm

I will look forward to your review of the movie-to-book process of Time Traveler’s Wife.

35. August 27, 2009 10:43 am

Yaaaay! I love book shopping. I’m going to buy some today I think. I keep meaning to read the Westerfeld books but haven’t yet. I’m curious to see what you’ll think of them.

36. justicejenniferreads permalink
    August 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Unfortunately, no new books bought for me, but your pile looks extremely interesting, especially Public Enemies. I found the movie to be quite good – well, the story at least (I was underwhelmed by the acting).

37. August 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Ooo Julia Child- cool. She’s undergoing a real revival right now!

38. August 31, 2009 1:59 pm

The Julia Child book caught my eye. I hope you enjoy these!

–Anna

39. September 2, 2009 9:24 am

I haven’t seen this meme before … I like the theme (and the button, too!).

Glad to know your husband has discovered a new author thru your blog connections. Yes, brilliant idea to get people hooked with a freebie of the first in a series!