May 6, 2009

vocabulary

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  Feel free to join in the fun.

All of this week’s words come from Ravens by George Dawes Green.  I’d seen two of these words before, but never bothered to look up their meaning.

1.  vizier – “He was good at all this stuff, a natural vizier.”

A vizier is a high executive officer of various Muslim countries and especially of the Ottoman Empire.

2.  potsherd – “My strength is dried up like a potsherd; my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; though hast brought me into the dust of death.”

A potsherd is a pottery fragment.

3.  antediluvian – “Several were on the sill; one was perched on the antediluvian TV.”

Antediluvian means  extremely primitive or outmoded.

What new words have you discovered lately?

1. May 6, 2009 7:36 am

Antediluvian is a mouthful. I’ve seen vizier used in Michelle Moran’s books, but didn’t know the meaning of the others.

–Anna

2. May 6, 2009 7:50 am

These were all new words to me. My daughter would probably call me antediluvian! Here are mine.

3. May 6, 2009 8:19 am

Didn’t know any of these words — thanks!

4. May 6, 2009 9:37 am

I remember vizier from The Aviary Gate and I posted antediluvian recently, too – it’s a great word!

My words are here. And I edited to add the title of the book – thanks for reminding me it wasn’t there!

5. May 6, 2009 9:46 am

Vizier and potsherd were new to me. For some reason “the antediluvian plane” sticks in my head. Must be some well worn phrase in my head. My words are here.

6. May 6, 2009 9:52 am

great words – luv “antideluvian”..

I don’t have ANY t add this week, but wanted to check out everybody’s wondrous words!

Hope you all have a great week ahead!

7. May 6, 2009 10:01 am

These are all great words-and new to me Kathy. Mine are here:

8. May 6, 2009 10:13 am

Antediluvian uis a new word for me. Like it!

Here is mine:

9. J.S. Peyton permalink
    May 6, 2009 10:38 am

I’ve heard “antediluvian” before but I never manage to work it into a sentence. I need to work on that! 🙂

10. May 6, 2009 10:39 am

Love the word antediluvian! Here are my words:

11. May 6, 2009 10:44 am

wow, great words.

I’ve given you an award here: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/05/true-fairy-tale-award-more.html

12. May 6, 2009 10:57 am

These are great new words. I’ve posted a few Aussie words this week:

13. May 6, 2009 11:21 am

Vizier is the only new one to me. I remember “antediluvian” from when I had bible study class as a kid- it meant literally, “before the Flood.” My new words are here!

14. May 6, 2009 1:03 pm

Great words. The only one I knew of was antediluvian. And even that one it was good to have a refresher. I hope I can get testy about something that is old in the house and tell my husband that I need to get rid of the antediluvian this or that… LOL…

Being armed with good words is powerful stuff. 🙂

15. May 6, 2009 1:05 pm

No new words for me this week! But I love yours! I was just outside digging some potsherds out of the bottom of a big flower pot, (make great drainage. d’you suppose someone a few hundred years from now will find my pot with the potsherds in the bottom and concoct a whole imaginary tale about me and my moss roses?)

16. May 6, 2009 1:10 pm

I’m glad someone mentioned that “antedeluvian” meant “before the flood” (i.e. the flood of Noah). I was going to post that too.

Great words this week!

Mine are here.

17. May 6, 2009 1:32 pm

I love this meme! I didn’t know antediluvian.

18. May 6, 2009 7:25 pm

Potsherd? Now there’s a word you don’t hear every day…or ever.

19. May 6, 2009 8:04 pm

Great words, all! I only had one new one this week, so decided to save it for next week’s post.

Glad someone mentioned the “before the flood” connection – I thought that was the origin, but wasn’t 100% sure.

20. Carol permalink
    May 7, 2009 12:32 pm

Potsherd is new to me. My list is up, even if I am a day late.

21. May 7, 2009 8:17 pm

I have no idea how to pronounce antediluvian! Terrific words this week!

22. May 8, 2009 7:31 pm

We have one of those antidiluvian televisions!! Great words to share…I only knew one!