April 8, 2009

vocabulary

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  Feel free to join in the fun.

My words for this week came from Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman.

1.  epistemology – “Are we here to create art, or are we here to discuss the epistemology of cherubs and complain.”

Epistemology is the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity.

2.  logorrhea – “I prattle away, a veritable fountain of logorrhea.”

Logorrhea is excessive and often incoherent talkativeness or wordiness.

What new words have you discovered lately?

1. April 8, 2009 7:22 am

Epistemology is something I see a lot and only have the vaguest notion about. Surprisingly, I knew logorrhea. Is it bad that I had to look up into your post again to know how to spell it?

Here is what I found this week: http://www.linussblanket.com/2009/04/wondrous-words-wednesdaywondrous-words-wednesday/

2. April 8, 2009 8:13 am

I knew logorrhea only because I remember someone describing it as “diarrhea of the mouth!”
    Thanks for already getting over to check my words! For everyone else, my list is here.

• April 8, 2009 8:16 am

Haha! You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. For those of us with lower vocab levels its called diarrhea of the mouth!

3. April 8, 2009 8:13 am

I’ve heard of logorrhea before, but I thought that it was a made-up word–a joke.

Here’s mine:

4. April 8, 2009 8:14 am

I knew logorrhea, but epistemology is a new one for me; I like that word; I’m gonna have to find a way to work that one into conversation this week. (LoL…last week, I went around trying to work “avuncular” – from my own list – into my vocabulary…did I mention I just LUV this meme??!)

Anyway, my words this week are here

Happy Reading and word hunting, everybody!

5. April 8, 2009 8:25 am

Those are two very good words – epistemology is a tough one!

My words are here.

6. April 8, 2009 8:26 am

I’ve seen both of your words but, again, didn’t know what they mean. Another example of reading without stopping to check the meaning. Kathy, this weekly exercise is good for us.

My Wondrous Words are here.

7. April 8, 2009 8:45 am

logorrhea is a great word. I knew this one, and it’s a good one for determining meaning its roots: logo + rrhea.

8. April 8, 2009 8:45 am

I’m doing some advertising for tractors and solar energy panels, so I am learning a lot of new words this week!

9. April 8, 2009 8:50 am

I am so going to have to use the word logorrhea. Shouldn’t be too hard for me!

10. April 8, 2009 9:52 am

Those are great words Kathy! I admit that there are too many people in my life that speak like a fountain of logorrhea! My words are posted here:

11. April 8, 2009 10:12 am

Logorrhea- ha ha! that’s great. My words of the week are here.

12. April 8, 2009 10:19 am

Great words! I remember a teacher once defining logorrhea as “diarrhea of the mouth.” 🙂

Here’s my link: http://booksandmovies.today.com/2009/04/08/wondrous-words-wednesday-april-8-2009-poetry-edition/

13. April 8, 2009 10:40 am

I forgot about logorrhea. By the way, left you a little award on my latest post.

14. Carol permalink
    April 8, 2009 10:56 am

Logorrhea is a great word. Mine’s up, too.

15. April 8, 2009 11:39 am

Great words! I suffer greatly from logorrhea..I wonder if there is a support group..

My list is up too!

Click here

16. April 8, 2009 1:10 pm

I was familiar with epistemology, but not with logorrhea (which is a great word)!

My Wondrous Words are here:

17. April 8, 2009 4:00 pm

I love this feature on your blog and find myself searching for words in my books. The problem is that I’m reading YA novels right now and I seem to know all the words. I guess that’s a good thing, right?

18. April 8, 2009 8:21 pm

I LOVE the word logorrhea…you’ve given me a new idea for a blog! 🙂

19. April 9, 2009 1:04 am

What a fun idea, I decided to participate. I have heard of logorrhea- I occassionally find myself a victim of it 😀
    My link is http://readinginappalachia.blogspot.com/2009/04/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

20. April 9, 2009 5:37 pm

I love those words! I knew “epistemology” from when I studied philosophy, but even so, I kept having to look it up to remind myself what it meant. (Now I doubt I’ll ever forget – “The study of knowledge, and how we know things, and how we know that we know them.”)

Sorry I couldn’t participate in WWW yesterday — I was moving my blog (and blogroll!) to the new Bookishgal location.

Next week for sure! I’m really looking forward to it.

21. April 9, 2009 5:38 pm

Oops, and then I went and entered the wrong site in my last comment (to my business site). This time, the link on my name is correct.

22. April 9, 2009 9:42 pm

Yes, like Kristi I remember “logorrhea” as diarrhea of the mouth!

Good words this week, Kathy 🙂

23. April 12, 2009 9:10 pm

I often have logorrhea, haha! I am trying to be more succinct!

I haven’t read many new words lately, oddly enough. I did have a list from a couple of books one week and then lost my list and couldn’t remember what they were. Such is my life.

Hopefully I will find a couple before this next Wed. so I can participate again! 🙂