February 18, 2009

vocabulary

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  Feel free to join in the fun.  Here are some new words that I’ve discovered recently:

1. solipsistic – Dan Simmons used this in Drood like this: “And what price would we writers pay for that one extra day spent with those we ignored while we were locked away scratching and squiggling in our arrogant years of solipsistic isolation?”

Solipsistic comes from solipsism which means the theory or view that the self is the only reality.

2. peroration – This word is from Drood as well and it was used like this: “But it was his brief peroration that seemed wistful, almost lonely.”

Peroration means a discourse or rhetorical argument.

3. ferruled – You’ll be happy to know this is the last word I found in Drood.  Here’s how it was used: The ferruled base of his cane swung with a sweet, summery swish-swish against the tall grass to either side of the path.”

A ferrule is a metal band or cap placed around a shaft to reinforce it or prevent it from splitting.

What new words have you discovered lately?

1. February 18, 2009 7:12 am

It sounds like I’ll be learning a lot of words when I read Drood!

2. February 18, 2009 7:17 am

I guess I could say I’m now ‘ready’ to read Drood! I will know most of the vocabulary after studying all your Wed posts. 🙂

3. February 18, 2009 7:19 am

Drood has given you a number of new words I’ve noticed. You’re helping me out as I start reading the novel. Thanks a bunch!

4. February 18, 2009 7:32 am

Drood had some impressive offerings! I wish I was reading it. I only came up with one word this week, so I decided to hold off on starting. My current reading seems to be much too light.

5. February 18, 2009 8:29 am

It sounds like Drood has been for you almost like, for me, the book I’m reading now about fun words out of the Oxford English Dictionary!

6. February 18, 2009 8:59 am

I’m also reading a book that has been a terrific source of new words – what a great find. I’ll be looking forward to Drood, as well.

My post is up here. I have new-to-me words about the eyes, the buttocks and other parts below the waist. Come on over and check them out!

7. February 18, 2009 9:00 am

Good ones. I was a bit off on “solipsistic” — so thanks for straightening me out!

8. February 18, 2009 9:29 am

Drood has had a lot of new words to me! It is on my TBR list – so I will probably be accessing your blog for these in the future.

My post is here: http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2009/02/wondrous-words-2-18-2009.html

9. stacybuckeye permalink
    February 18, 2009 10:00 am

I’m looking forward to Drood and now I’ll have the vocabulary for it!

10. February 18, 2009 10:01 am

I read an Agatha Christie book this week that surprised me with lots of new (to me) words. I’ve listed a few of them here.

11. February 18, 2009 10:04 am

I love solipsistic – once you get the hang of how to actually say it, it’s a fun word to say.

12. February 18, 2009 10:55 am

Kathy, you had some great words! Here is
    mine

13. February 18, 2009 11:27 am

Great new words this week, Kathy! I wish I was reading Drood too. I’m looking forward to your review!

My post is here:

This is a fun meme!

14. fleurfisher permalink
    February 18, 2009 11:49 am

Great words. I ferruled my mother’s walking stick a while ago!

15. February 18, 2009 12:55 pm

Drood definitely has some interesting words in it, I see! I didn’t have any new words in my reading last week…oh well, maybe next week!

16. February 18, 2009 1:06 pm

I love this new weekly. I am keeping track of all of the new words I learn now.

Here is my first WWW post: http://imlostinbooks.blogspot.com/2009/02/wondrous-words-wednesday-1.html

17. February 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Hey, for the folks who checked out Kaye’s words and want to know what a charango looks like, I knew the word because I downloaded some lovely wallpaper a while back. Check it out here!

18. February 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Drood has sure had a lot of interesting words in it. lol.

19. Carol permalink
    February 18, 2009 3:14 pm

My post is up. Thanks for hosting this great meme.

20. February 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow looks like I’m in for quite the read with Drood, not sure if I’m excited or nervous 🙂

But I did know one of your words this week, I took a philosphy course which included quite a bit of study of solipsism – it was fascinating and a little scary.

My words for this week canbe found here.

21. February 18, 2009 3:35 pm

I only came across three new words this week, all of which can be found here.

22. February 18, 2009 4:36 pm

I just discovered your meme. It looks like so much fun I think I’m going to jump in next week. I always enjoy learning curious new words.

23. February 18, 2009 5:00 pm

I wish ferruled had a cooler definition, I like that word!

24. February 18, 2009 6:31 pm

I remember learning “solipsistic” when I was taking several philosophy courses at university. One of the students had essentially a solipsistic philosophy — he really believed that we’re all just living inside our own heads, and that it’s very possible that the world outside our heads is really illusional, and non-existent.

So I asked him how such a person could ever be surprised by anything. And he couldn’t answer. Ha!

Anyway, here are mine

25. February 18, 2009 9:34 pm

I’m reading The Shack and so far haven’t came across any words I don’t know. Maybe there will be some in the next book I read. I really hope so because I’d love to play along!

26. February 19, 2009 8:58 pm

I’m just seeing this meme and I realize it would have come in handy after reading Cormac McCarthy’s The Road. There were tons of words in there that I had never even SEEN! I don’t think I’m patient enough to do this though.

27. February 19, 2009 11:41 pm

That Drood sure has a lot of big words, huh? LOL–guess it would have been a good one for preparing for the GRE a few years ago.

28. February 25, 2009 3:55 pm

What a great game! I love it! I’m going to play next week.
    Thanks for the fun new words!