Book Club: This is Where I Leave You

August 18, 2014
tags: ,

TIWILY Book Club

My book club loves to read a book and then compare it to the movie.  We’ve done it with The Help, Labor Day, and Rocket Boys.  We’re really excited to be reading This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper this month.  I’m reading, and loving, the book right now and can’t wait to discuss it!

It’s always fun to read the book before the movie, right? Join Warner Bros. Pictures’ #TIWILY book discussion on the film’s Facebook page each Wednesday, and take part in the conversation for a chance to win signed movie posters and a trip to the premiere in Hollywood!

The casting of the movie looks terrific – even the trailer makes me laugh!

Official Links
Visit the official website
Like This is Where I Leave You on Facebook
Follow @wbpictures on Twitter and Instagram
#TIWILY #TIWILYbookclub

This Is Where I Leave You movie

This Is Where I Leave You – In Theaters September 19

The dramatic comedy “This is Where I Leave You” is directed by Shawn Levy, and based on the hilarious and poignant best-selling novel by Jonathan Tropper. It features a starring ensemble cast including Golden Globe winner Jason Bateman (“Arrested Development”); Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Tina Fey (“30 Rock”); and two-time Oscar® winner, multiple Golden Globe honoree and 2013 Emmy Award nominee Jane Fonda (“Klute,” “Coming Home,” HBO’s “The Newsroom”).

When their father passes away, four grown siblings, bruised and banged up by their respective adult lives, are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens. Confronting their history and the frayed states of their relationships among the people who know and love them best, they ultimately reconnect in hysterical and emotionally affecting ways amid the chaos, humor, heartache and redemption that only families can provide—driving us insane even as they remind us of our truest, and often best, selves.

Genre: Dramatic Comedy
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Starring: Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver, Rose Byrne, Corey Stoll, Kathryn Hahn, Connie Britton, Timothy Olyphant, Dax Shepard and Jane Fonda
Directed By: Shawn Levy
Screenplay By: Screenplay by Jonathan Tropper, Based on the novel “This Is Where I Leave You” by Jonathan Tropper
Produced By: Paula Weinstein, Shawn Levy, Jeffrey Levine; Executive Producers Mary McLaglen, Jonathan Tropper

Post sponsored by Warner Brothers and Big Honcho Media.
About these ads
  1. Beth F permalink
    August 18, 2014 5:26 am

The trailer really does look pretty good!

2. August 18, 2014 8:04 am

I loved that book and can’t wait to see the movie – enjoy!

3. August 18, 2014 8:30 am

I too loved the book and can’t wait for the movie!

4. August 18, 2014 8:38 am

I had to look up when I read this (almost 5 years ago!) – I still remember how much I laughed while reading it. Can’t wait to see the film version.

5. August 18, 2014 8:38 am

I’ve never read a book by Tropper, but now realize that I really need to. I can’t wait to see this film!

6. August 18, 2014 9:32 am

Interesting. I hadn’t heard of this one.

7. August 18, 2014 9:35 am

I’m looking forward to the movie too. But it’s going to be very tough to come close to matching the book. I thought the book was absolutely terrific.

8. August 18, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks to your post, I now want to read the book and see the movie. I love Jason Bateman, Dax Shepard and Jane Fonda!

And yes, I always like reading the book before seeing the movie.

9. August 18, 2014 10:28 am

Oh I did not know it was a book

10. August 18, 2014 12:24 pm

I loved this book – such a fun one! It was the book I read while in labor with my son and was the perfect choice to distract me! Hope your bloom club enjoys it.

11. August 18, 2014 12:33 pm

The movie cast looks amazing- can’t wait to see it! I might read it after I see it to compare. Hope your book club enjoys discussing this one.

12. August 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I didn’t know it was a book, either! The cast is amazing – I really want to see it. I may break my rule and see the movie first.

13. August 18, 2014 1:12 pm

The movie does look funny…but the end of the marriage is striking just a bit too close to home! Not sure I’m ready for a movie about THAT. ;-)

14. August 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Wow, now I must get this book to read, as this movie looks like one I can’t miss. What a great cast, too. Thanks!

15. August 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Kathy, I now have yet another book and movie to look forward to. Thanks!! :-)

16. August 18, 2014 4:57 pm

This Is Where I Leave You sounds like a good read and the film casting looks excellent! Enjoy!

17. August 18, 2014 6:21 pm

OMG…it sounds like one of those lovely dysfunctional movies that I love! And it is not dystopian! Lol!

18. August 18, 2014 7:23 pm

This has been in my wishlist ever since I started blogging. I do have to make time for it, especially now that the movie is coming.

19. August 18, 2014 8:29 pm

One of my best friends gave up on this book – she HATED it – and I let her cloud my impressions. OK, it’s now officially back on my want-to-read list. (not sure how she and I are friends, we never agree about books; she really REALLY did not like it – thought it boring and tedious… I guess she favors more plot-driven books?)

20. August 18, 2014 9:49 pm

I liked the book and was not aware of the movie — thx for the trailer.

21. August 18, 2014 10:29 pm

This sounds awesome! I try to be a “Book before Movie” person so I guess I better get on this!

22. August 19, 2014 12:54 am

The trailer made me laugh too. Being an only child, I’m always fascinated by sibling love.

23. August 20, 2014 2:22 pm

I’ve never heard of this book or movie before, but they look interesting. I’m an only child with four children – this should be instructive. Thanks!

24. August 20, 2014 3:16 pm

This sounds excellent. I’m going to recommend this book (and movie) to my book club. Thanks for sharing.

25. August 20, 2014 9:06 pm

now that looks hilarious! i love that y’all read the book/see the movie as a book club! I’m picking our October book – it was going to be between the new murakami novel and the sadness at the lemon cake {or something like that} but now you may have just given me our next selection! woohoo!

26. August 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I enjoyed the movie trailer. I’m looking forward to hearing more about this. The movie looks like it is a lot of fun.

27. swright9 permalink
    August 22, 2014 5:46 pm

The trailer is funny, the last line: “Let’s go Altmans.” You’ve sold me on this book before seeing the movie. Seems like fun! thanks

28. August 23, 2014 10:41 am

I read this with my book club a number of years ago and LOVED it – it made me a fan of Tropper. I am looking forward to the movie too – it looks great and has a wonderful cast!

29. August 26, 2014 12:29 pm

This movie trailer made me laugh!