BEA/NY 2014: The Events

June 13, 2014
tags: ,

BEAlogo

May was a rough month for my family so BEA was a last minute decision for me.  Thankfully, my roommate, Julie,was understanding as I wavered back and forth about going.  Because of all that was going on, I didn’t do any pre-planning before the trip and probably wasn’t fully “there” at times – at least that’s the excuse I’m using for not taking any pictures while I was gone.

I wasn’t sure how to write about BEA this year and, after some thought, decided to write two posts – one about the events I attended and the other about some of the books I received while I was there.

**********

Harper Collins logoOn Wednesday, I was lucky enough to attend Harper Collins‘ Fall Preview.  Publicist from several imprints – Harper, Ecco, Avon, Voyager, Harper Perennial, Harper 360, Dey Street, and William Morrow – highlighted upcoming books that they’re excited about.  It’s fun to learn about new books from people who love them and it’s obvious the people at Harper Collins have a passion for books.   I will highlight the books that sounded the best to me in my next BEA post.

Immediately after the Fall Preview, Harper Collins hosted a party for bloggers at the Fox Sports Lounge.  The food was terrific and the company was even better.  It’s always fun to catch up with blogging friends and see wonderful authors like Adriana Trigiani, Dorothea Benton Frank, Stephanie Evanovich, Kate White, and Karen Abbot.

**********

Kensington logoKensington hosted a party at the Monarch Rooftop Lounge on Thursday to celebrate their 40th anniversary.   The venue was gorgeous and they put out quite a spread.  Kensington is proud to be the last remaining independent publisher in America.  They publish over 500 books a year and seem to have found a niche market that suits them.  It was exciting to toast their 40th year!

**********

My favorite panel of BEA – Book Group Speed Dating – was on Friday.  Reading Group Guides hosts this terrific panel and, I have to tell you, it gets better every year.  Publicist rotate from table to table and pitch books that spark discussion and work well for book clubs.  I heard about books from twelve different imprints and I was sold on just about every book.  I will highlight my favorites in my BEA book post.

No trip to New York would be complete without seeing a Broadway show – Julie and I managed to snag tickets to see Kinky Boots Friday night and I just loved it!  The story was great, the music was even better, and Billy Porter as Lola was fantastic!  Talk about stage presence!

About these ads
  1. June 13, 2014 4:17 am

I’ll bet you did have a good time. You know what? I would wear those red boots. Aren’t they cute?? Glad you made it safely home.

2. Beth F permalink
    June 13, 2014 7:24 am

It was a different kind of BEA but I had a great time.

3. June 13, 2014 7:35 am

How great that you managed to see a show, too!

4. June 13, 2014 7:51 am

It’s always fun to read BEA posts!

5. June 13, 2014 8:37 am

I enjoy reading posts about BEA. Thanks for sharing. Maybe some day I’ll get there. From the video, the Broadway show looks great!

6. June 13, 2014 9:37 am

It sounds fantastic. I am super jealous.

7. June 13, 2014 11:09 am

I e enjoy all the BEA posts but I am looking forward to your next post re the haul of books.

8. June 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Glad you had a great time.

9. June 13, 2014 3:29 pm

This was the perfect post…there is always a teensy bit of envy when those of us who don’t go see all of your lovely books…but this was perfect…

10. June 13, 2014 4:30 pm

I love BEA posts! Sounds like you had a nice time and got to relax a little, which was much needed after going through such a tough month!

11. June 13, 2014 7:13 pm

The show looks fun Kathy! That is my one regret, I do like to take in a show and did not get a chance to this year. I will have to make sure I allow time for one next year :)

12. June 13, 2014 8:47 pm

How fun! I didn’t know Kensington was the last indie publisher in the US.

13. June 13, 2014 9:39 pm

So many things are happening at your side of the world! I’d like to mark my calendar for upcoming BEA’s and hope to make it in my next travel. I’m about to leave for Italy very soon. In last year’s trip to Italy, I managed to visit two book fairs. One was in Pisa and the other in Rome. I definitely want to make good use of my US visa! Heading to the BEA website now to see how I can keep myself updated to plan my travels. :)

14. June 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Kathy, one quick question… I visited the BEA website and I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly. To attend it one has to pay for a pass? I read there’s also a BookCon ticket costing $35? Would you mind telling more about how the BEA works? Here’s my email: connect@aliceteh.com – thanks!!

15. June 13, 2014 10:14 pm

It sounds like BEA was a much needed distraction from May.
    I hope to get there one day, all of the parties all sound like such fun. Not that I’d get invited to any of them!

June 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Can you believe we didn’t take any pics? I guess we were too busy having fun! Enjoyed your recap!

17. June 14, 2014 1:31 am

The speed dating event does sound fun. And I’m so glad you got to see Kinky Boots!

18. sandynawrot permalink
    June 14, 2014 7:09 am

It almost makes me tired reading about all the fun! I totally am jealous of Kinky Boots. Need to at least see the movie some day.

19. June 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Sounds like a great time and probably just the getaway you needed.

20. June 14, 2014 2:09 pm

The show looks wild and crazy and fun! Terrific post, Kathy!

21. June 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I’m so glad you ended up going. I hope it was a good distraction for you. Looking forward to hearing about the books you’re excited for!

22. June 14, 2014 11:28 pm

I am so glad you were able to get away for BEA Kathy. I enjoy hearing about the book events you attend. I had more questions this year about my attendance, and it made me sad to say no, so maybe 2015. Looking forward to the books that made an impression on you. Kinky Boots looks like a fun show!

23. June 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Sounds like you had a great time at BEA, and it seems like a much needed break for you.

24. June 16, 2014 6:16 pm

I love the idea of Book Group Speed Dating! Sounds like fun!

I hope June is treating you better, Kathy.

25. June 20, 2014 10:59 pm

I am NOT missing Speed Dating next year. Elizabeth told me about it and I was so busy I forgot to book!