June 11, 2014

I found my first word in a tweet from Dave Cullen.  Since I looked it up I’ve seen it in a few other places.

1. monopsony

I found several definitions of this word and most were confusing to me.  This definition on about.com was the easiest to understand:

Monopsony is a state in which demand comes from one source. If there is only one customer for a certain good, that customer has a monopsony in the market for that good.

_____________________________________________________

My second word came from The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett.

2. darning needles – “Sometimes its rippling water looked jeweled by so many darning needles flitting along it, their lacey wings shimmery with light.”

I knew about darning needles for mending socks but that obviously doesn’t work here so I decided to investigate and learned that dragonflies and damselflies are sometimes called darning needles.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

About these ads
  1. June 11, 2014 6:46 am

Kathy, the piece you shared on monopsony is incredibly interesting. I have always enjoyed Amazon and am a Prime member, but this NYTimes piece is yet another warning about Amazon’s billowing power in the book world. Thanks for sharing.

June 11, 2014 7:46 am

I never heard darning needles used that way!

3. John Warner permalink
    June 11, 2014 7:47 am

I’m currently reading Prophecy by S.J. Parris, a historical fiction book set in Elizabethan England and came across the word slattern as used in the following sentence: “Oh, I am not alone,” she says drily. “Not while I have that slattern for company.”
    Slattern means “a dirty, untidy woman.”

4. June 11, 2014 10:05 am

I never heard that about darning needles either. Very cute!

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 11, 2014 10:05 am

I remember hearing that reference to darning needles (love it), but monopsony was new to me!

6. June 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Kathy,

I have never heard of dragonflies being called darning needles, but it does sound like a rather appropriate analogy, as they do tend to flit in and out of the plants and dance up and down in the air, rather like a needle pulling thread in and out of fabric.

I have never come across monopsony before and although I have read several reports here in the UK press about the ongong Amazon v Hatchette dispute, I haven’t seen the particular article you cite. Clearly from the purely selfish perspective of an avid reader, the more cheaply I can acquire books, the better it is. However, with my business hat on, I can only sympathise with the publishers and authors, who are rather ‘held over a barrel’, by the might and downright pig headedness of the Amazon machine!

Both great words and an interesting post. Thanks for hosting,

Yvonne.

7. June 11, 2014 12:49 pm

In all the time we have been playing WWW, I believe this is the first time you and I have had the same word on the same day. I found the article and monopsony very interesting. I found my definition from Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

8. June 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Interesting the part about dragonflies (my favourite!) and damselflies!
    Thanks for sharing,

9. June 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Darning needles is vaguely familiar to me but monopsony is a new one. I don’t remember it used in any of the many college business courses I took either. Of course it could just be my memory is full!

10. June 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I’d never have known that Darning needles could be used for fireflies. Monopsony is a good word but not easy to say…

11. June 11, 2014 2:58 pm

I’d never heard of dragonflies or damselflies referred to as darning needles before! Wonderful description of these slim and graceful insects! I find the sight of a dragonfly quite magical. I will need to investigate damselflies further (female version?).

Monopsony is new to me. I have sometimes wondered if I have a monopsony for a certain type of sandal (black slide) which is very hard to find. :0

I enjoyed your WWW post, Kathy!

12. June 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Darning needles was very interesting referring to dragonflies and damselflies.

13. June 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Huh, did not know that about dragon flies

14. June 11, 2014 5:20 pm

I figured the first word was similar to “monopoly”, but have never heard darning needles connected to dragonflies or damselflies.

15. June 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Two new words or word uses for me today. I could deduct something from monopoly monopsony but I’ve not heart it used before. Love learning something new.

16. June 11, 2014 10:03 pm

I like that word monopsony!

17. June 11, 2014 10:14 pm

I learned the word monopsony recently too- that darn Amazon! Interesting use of darning needles too! Who knew?