At the movies – August: Osage County

February 25, 2014

August Osage County

When their father goes missing, the three Weston daughters return home to their mother in Osage County, Oklahoma.  It doesn’t take long for them all to remember why they left in the first place.

I’ve seen August: Osage County billed as the “feel-good movie” of the season and that’s true only because it will certainly make everyone feel good about their own family.  The Weston family has issues, to put it mildly.  They are the definition of dysfunction and their disintegration is difficult to watch.  Every member of the family has a secret and/or an issue that makes them all less than sympathetic characters so I didn’t find myself empathizing with or rooting for any of them.  Watching the movie was like watching a train wreck – I didn’t really want to see what was going to happen, yet I couldn’t avert my eyes – and I left the theater with a glum feeling.

Having said that, the acting in this movie is top notch.  The movie was well cast and I thought everyone nailed their part.   I know some people have said Meryl Streep overacted her part but I didn’t think so at all.  There is a lot of language and some sexual situations in the movie so it’s rated R for a reason.  I found the movie depressing and didn’t care for the ambiguous ending and don’t think it will be for everyone.

About these ads
  1. Diane@BibliophilebytheSea permalink
    February 25, 2014 6:59 am

Love M.Streep so will be catching this on on DVD sometime. Thanks for sharing.

2. February 25, 2014 8:10 am

I saw that movie with some of my writing friends and we had a great conversation about character complexity and development. I adored the film and agree with you on how it made me feel. Streep was amazing.

3. February 25, 2014 9:47 am

I agree with just about everything you said. The movie was okay. The acting was very good but not good enough to elevate the movie itself.

4. February 25, 2014 10:01 am

I haven’t seen this yet, but I think movies that are hyped often don’t hit me the same way as others….less recognized films. I can watch dysfunctional families, but having an ambiguous ending — it would have to be really well done and go with the rest of the movie for me to like it.

5. February 25, 2014 10:08 am

Oh boy…this will be a tough one to see…Meryl Streep looked really unappealing in the trailer…oh my!

6. February 25, 2014 10:24 am

Maybe I should see it..or not, dunno

7. February 25, 2014 10:25 am

So much for a feel good movie, eh? I admit the description of this movie has put me off, including reviews I’ve read of it–all of which were positive. I have to be in the right mood for a movie like this and right now don’t find it appealing. Someday I will though, I’m sure.

8. Colleen permalink
    February 25, 2014 11:02 am

I was on the fence about seeing this movie, but this review makes me want to see it. I like movies that are different, and not the same-old script. Thank you. =)

9. February 25, 2014 11:22 am

Meryl Streep is a favorite… hope to see this one soon!

10. February 25, 2014 11:40 am

I watched this movie and was also having mixed emotions. I could see some of my own family in it and I could see others in it too. There was nothing feel good about it, and I agree the ending left me feeling blah. Great acting, can’t necessarily overcome a dark and sad story.

11. February 25, 2014 11:44 am

I agree with your thoughts about this movie.

12. February 25, 2014 12:09 pm

We saw the previews and weren’t grabbed enough to go see the movie!

13. February 25, 2014 1:12 pm

This sounds interesting and I do like Meryl Streep.

14. February 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Neither a fan of Meryl Streep (albeit there is no denying she is a good actress) or enjoying this genre, I will readily agree with your thoughts and skip it.
    Corgi?

15. February 25, 2014 2:00 pm

I like movies about dysfunctional families but didn’t realize this one was such a downer. I’ll give it a look when it hits cable.

16. February 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I have wanted to see this but held off because I felt like I might leave feeling the same way. Thanks for sharing.

17. February 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Yes, definitely not a feel good movie, but I enjoyed the characterizations. Great actors, and I agree that Meryl did not “overact.” It was enjoyable watching the performances and seeing the dysfunction that is all too familiar to me.

18. February 25, 2014 2:53 pm

I had my doubts about seeing this movie, didn’t love it.

19. February 25, 2014 4:56 pm

I’m not sure I could watch this one but it does sound great!

20. February 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Kathy, it sounds like a really good movie! Meryl Streep is a wonderful actress.

21. February 25, 2014 5:40 pm

I love Meryl Streep but glum movies are not my forte ~ thanks so much for the warning :-)

22. February 25, 2014 7:26 pm

I do want to see this just because of all the cast members. I keep waiting for it to come out on dvd so I can see it. Your review makes me realize why this movie didn’t do as well as the critics said it should. They liked the ambiguous ending, and the secrets that everyone carried, which sadly is too much like real life for most of us. Like you, I’d like there to be humour and some finality to finish it. I will definitely see this movie. Thanks, Kathy!

23. Beth Hoffman permalink
    February 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Even though it sounds a bit depressing, I’m really eager to see it for the acting!

24. February 25, 2014 8:49 pm

What a great cast! So many of my favorites. I’m sure I’ll catch it on dvd. Just watched Enough Said this past weekend and loved it. Had to watch it by myself, though. Not my hubby’s cuppa tea! ;)

25. February 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Sounds like I’m glad I skipped this one, even with the great cast.

26. February 26, 2014 8:26 pm

I think I want to see it, but your thoughts are making me question whether it would be for me.

27. Beth F permalink
    February 27, 2014 7:43 am

I had a feeling this would be a bit of a downer. I love Streep so I’ll likely watch this when it comes out on dvd or streaming.

28. February 27, 2014 2:25 pm

“Feel good?”!!!! Ron and I both thought the characters were like people in our own families. At least at the end the daughter (played by Julia Roberts) didn’t go back.
    I thought the bit about two of the characters being brother and sister was stupid. She was in no danger of having children. Probably their dream of going to NYC wasn’t going to come true, so they couldn’t get the anonymity they needed, but the family was even more bull-headed than usual about that non-issue, for their own selfish reasons.

29. February 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I wanted to watch the movie just for Meryl Streep but never got around to it. After reading your review, I think I’ll wait for the DVD.

30. February 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I’ve got to stop fast forwarding through commercials, I didn’t even see this advertised. I love almost all the actors in this, Streep and Roberts are two of my favorites. I’ll try to find it on dvd.

31. February 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I love your comment about the movie being billed as being “feel-good.” I was so confused when I saw the commercials on TV. I may watch the movie but I’ll probably wait until it’s out on DVD.

32. March 1, 2014 10:26 pm

It will be interesting to see how this does at the Oscars tomorrow night – I am sure Streep’s acting is amazing but not sure I am up for a movie that doesn’t make me feel good right now! Thanks for the review!

33. swright9 permalink
    March 2, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the warning. I think I will wait till DVD. The acting sounds worth it though.

March 6, 2014 9:18 am

Your first sentence is perfect! I love that it is only a feel good movie because it will make you appreciate your family!

35. March 7, 2014 10:08 am

Even with its glumness I have to see it just for the actors. I adore Meryl Streep!