At the movies: Kill Your Darlings

January 9, 2014
tags:

Kill Your Darlings

When Allen Ginsberg attended Columbia University, he met and became enthralled with Lucien Carr.  Through Carr, he met Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs and the four became friends, with Carr being the center of their little universe.  The group challenged traditional beliefs and pulled some pranks.  David Kammerer was enthralled with Carr as well and his attentions became overbearing.  When Carr was arrested for the murder of Kammerer, he turned to his friends for help.

My friend and I went to see Kill Your Darlings, mainly to see if we would buy Daniel Radcliffe in a role other than Harry Potter.  I’m happy to report that we did!  The acting in this movie was terrific but the movie was just okay.  There were some parts that were just a little too artsy and the way the story was told made it somewhat confusing.  As a matter of fact, after we saw the movie, we had to do a little research of the events portrayed to fully understand it.

The movie is based on a true story and, as far as I can tell, it tells the story pretty accurately.  Of course, there are some parts that only those involved really know.   The movie is rated R for good reason so it’s not for the whole family.  If this sounds interesting to you, I recommend renting this movie or reading up on the story before you see it.

About these ads
  1. January 9, 2014 4:46 am

dunno about this one, as it’s a true story and all

2. Beth F permalink
    January 9, 2014 6:27 am

I’m interested in that time period in literary history and am familiar with those authors and their work, but I don’t know much about this particular incident in Ginsberg’s life. I’ll likely watch this one when it come on HBO or Netflix streaming

3. lab1990 permalink
    January 9, 2014 7:49 am

I saw this in the fall and really loved it. I haven’t reviewed it yet, but I’m planning on doing so in the next day or so…it’s funny you posted this today. glad you liked it overall.

Lauren from http://www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

4. January 9, 2014 7:50 am

I love the reason why you went to see this! :–)

5. January 9, 2014 10:00 am

This is a new one for me…I have not seen it anywhere…it must be a limited release…

6. January 9, 2014 11:31 am

If it weren’t for you and Sandy, I’d never know what’s out in the theaters.

7. January 9, 2014 12:28 pm

I love Daniel Radcliffe and I think he is fabulous in non-Harry Potter roles. I saw his Woman in Black and he was very convincing and didn’t remind me of Harry Potter at all. I will make a point to watch this.

8. January 9, 2014 1:10 pm

Very riveting trailer! Thanks for a great review–I am definitely interested in seeing this now, Kathy.

9. January 9, 2014 2:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed Daniel’s transformation, I often wondered that myself. Great review.

10. January 9, 2014 2:53 pm

I am so glad you gave this a good review. I saw an interview with DR, along with an excerpt and it looked good

Sent from Samsung Mobile

11. January 9, 2014 3:03 pm

I have been hearing great things about the acting in this, but not so much toe story. I can see you have the same opinion. :-) I might see it just to see Daniel Radcliffe in something besides Harry Potter as I’ve yet to do that.

12. January 9, 2014 3:49 pm

Doesn’t sound like a fit for me but I have to say, DR gets mad respect for me for always pushing himself and branching out.

13. sandynawrot permalink
    January 9, 2014 5:00 pm

I actually read some decent things about the movie, but it has never made its way to my town. Of course.

14. January 9, 2014 5:40 pm

I like the premise of this….but it’s not playing in my city. Maybe it will come later?

15. January 9, 2014 7:59 pm

This does sound artsy! I shall check it out on netflix sometime. I’ve only seen DR in HP so far!

16. January 9, 2014 7:59 pm

I never even heard of this one…LOL

17. January 9, 2014 8:18 pm

Good thing I came across this because I completely forgot about this movie! Been meaning to see this one, and it’s good to read that the acting was good, albeit an overall boring and too-artsy film. It sounds like the kind you have to be in the mood for, so I’ll keep it on my list!

18. January 9, 2014 8:24 pm

New to me – am not a movie buff at all but I am glad that Daniel could make a transition without getting fixed only in HP.

19. January 11, 2014 10:06 pm

I’ve never even heard of this movie! Looks like a good one to watch on tv.

January 13, 2014 9:32 am

Not sure that this one is for me.