January 8, 2014

Most of my reading over the holidays was on audio.  Sometimes I hear new words that way but, since I’m generally out walking or in my car, I don’t write them down.  So, this week, I had to turn back to my Word-a-Day Calendar to find new words.

1. poltroon – “Like many bullies, he is a bit of a poltroon when faced with someone his own size.”

A poltroon is a spiritless coward: craven.

_____________________________________________________

2. moil – “The revelation that the popular motivational speaker was born into a wealthy family cast further doubt on his claim to holding the secret to getting rich without toil and moil.”

Moil means to work hard: drudge.  It can also mean to be in continuous agitations: churn, swirl.

_____________________________________________________

3. delate – “Hepzibah was brought to trial after being delated for the practice of witchcraft.”

Delate means to accuse or denounce.  Another meaning of delate is to report or relate.”

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

About these ads
  1. January 8, 2014 8:06 am

I can’t tell you how many times in the car I pull over to write down something I want to remember! (The good news is, I pull over to do it!)

2. January 8, 2014 9:21 am

Interesting!

3. January 8, 2014 9:28 am

These words were unfamiliar to me too. I like the sounds of poltroon. It might be fun to try to use that word sometime. I am never able to write down new words when I am listening to audio. I usually listen when my DH and I are together, so I can’t stop and go back easily.

4. January 8, 2014 10:36 am

Nice words. I came across one I didn’t know in the newspaper. Deracinating – to uproot, deracinate. That was the only new word I came across so I won’t make a special post about it :)

5. January 8, 2014 10:49 am

It’s always humbling to see your Wednesday words. I think I have a pretty good vocabulary, but, typically, don’t know any of your words. Humbling, but very cool.

6. Beth Hoffman permalink
    January 8, 2014 11:29 am

How embarrassing … I didn’t know a single one of these! Great words as usual, Kathy!

7. January 8, 2014 12:24 pm

Excellent words, Kathy! I knew poltroon for some reason but not the other two.
    Your readers who like words may be interested in the giveaway I am running now on my site. :)

8. January 8, 2014 1:14 pm

Hahaha! I actually used poltroon once in a fit of pique–it was pretty satisfying! The other two were new to me!

9. January 8, 2014 1:37 pm

Moil is new to me. I really like the phrase “toil and moil.” When reading the definition I thought about the action of boil and how all three would fit together. Thanks for my morning brain-buzz.

10. January 8, 2014 2:10 pm

I have the same problem with audio, nothing to put little sticky notes on to refer to!

All of these are new words for me.

11. January 8, 2014 2:12 pm

I love audio books but have the same problem “catching” those elusive words I don’t know. You obviously found good ones to share today- didn’t know any. Thanks for teaching!

12. January 8, 2014 2:26 pm

Luv your last two words. Never heard of either one.

13. January 8, 2014 2:28 pm

I haven’t heard of any of these words, so I’ve learnt a little by visiting today :)

14. lab1990 permalink
    January 8, 2014 2:36 pm

Nice words…I don’t know any of these. I like moil though.

lauren from http://www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

15. January 8, 2014 3:07 pm

These are all new to me. Reading your Wondrous Words posts always makes me want to learn more about the origins of words, too!

16. January 8, 2014 3:20 pm

Audio is tricky for looking up words and taking notes. I should have picked up one of these word a day calendars. There’s so many words I don’t know!

17. January 8, 2014 3:33 pm

Only knew one and that’s because of the saying. I’m sure it wouldn’t have rang a bell on its own.

18. January 8, 2014 3:45 pm

I learned some new words today, thanks!

19. January 8, 2014 4:34 pm

Good words today! I’ve only heard poltroon — for some reason, it’s a popular word in Louisiana, where I used to live. I don’t think there are any more craven cowards there than there are anywhere else, so I’m not sure why they like it so much.

20. January 9, 2014 12:25 am

I love poltroon, i think it can be used quite effectively, without anybody knowing what I’m saying!

21. January 9, 2014 11:04 am

It’s interesting to see ones like delate which are so similar to others but with all their own nuances. Thanks so much for hosting the link again!!

22. January 9, 2014 3:47 pm

I kinda love poltroon.

23. January 11, 2014 7:31 am

I’ve come across poltroon before- such an excellent word.