At the movies: Gravity

October 17, 2013

Gravity

Two astronauts and one scientist are working outside of the space shuttle when they get word that Russia has shot down a non-working satellite resulting in debris hurtling through space at dangerous speeds.  They’re urged to return to the spacecraft but don’t move quickly enough and two of them, an astronaut and the scientist find themselves stranded and struggling to survive.

I’m not much of a science fiction fan but agreed to see Gravity because I’m a fan of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.  I thought the acting was fine – Sandra Bullock did a great job and acted solo in much of the movie – but the movie wasn’t a good fit for me.  I tried to relax and enjoy the story but I found it slow and had trouble suspending disbelief.  I also got annoyed with all the breathing noises throughout the movie.

I think the movie is fine, even though it was just okay for me – science fiction lovers will want to see this in the theater but others may want to wait to rent it.

About these ads
  1. October 17, 2013 6:33 am

I can see what you mean about the breathing and the minimal story line. At least Sandra Bullock never disappoints! I actually liked the movie, but I like that kind of action/suspense/special effects thing, so I would expect it to work for me.

2. October 17, 2013 6:36 am

It’s probably not for me either. I totally understand what you mean about the breathing noises.

3. October 17, 2013 7:01 am

My hubby and I really want to see this one. The reviews were good and promised suspense. We’ll just have to see. I’m sorry it didn’t work for you.

4. sandynawrot permalink
    October 17, 2013 7:12 am

I think the fam will be seeing this over the upcoming weekend…probably on 3D IMAX as we have been told this is the way to go. I’m not a huge science fiction fan myself, so we will see how this flies.

5. October 17, 2013 7:49 am

Okay, the breathing just in the trailer drove me nuts. I’m not much of a scifi fan, so I think, despite the actors, I’ll wait for it to show up on HBO.

6. October 17, 2013 8:01 am

I am sure we will wait to rent the DVD. Though Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses, I haven’t been hearing many good things about it. Some say unbelievable!
    Then again, who need reality all the time!:)

7. October 17, 2013 8:25 am

I’m not a big sci-fi fan either… not sure this is a movie for me.

8. October 17, 2013 9:10 am

I saw it on IMAX and was impressed. Yeah, some parts are slow and other parts very suspenseful but I heard that an astronaut saw it and he was impressed which makes me think it depicts, in some regards, what it’s really like to be up there. I thought it was probably very melodramatic, but I didn’t think of it as science fiction until you classified it that way!

9. October 17, 2013 9:51 am

I like sci-fi movies, but breathing noises drive me crazy! I think I’ll wait for video.

10. October 17, 2013 9:57 am

I haven’t seen this one, but always thought the breathing would annoy me as well! I do love some Sandra, though, so I’ll definitely rent it when it’s available.

11. October 17, 2013 10:01 am

I like scifi but if there’s not a lot of story then I’d want to see it for the special effects. Of course that means actually going to the IMAX and I’m generally a DVD renter. Ah, decisions!

12. October 17, 2013 10:47 am

Like the differently-spelled Jeane, I saw this in IMAX 3D and thought it was great. As you know, I’m a SF fan, so the predicament was familiar from many stories (although usually getting to one ship is the plot, not having to go from one to the other).

13. Beth Hoffman permalink
    October 17, 2013 11:24 am

I do love Sandra Bullock, but I had the feeling this movie wasn’t for me (the breathing!). Most likely I won’t be watching it.

14. October 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I have been curious about this movie since seeing the previews but haven’t been able to get on board with the idea because it just doesn’t seem like enough happens. I think my feelings will be similar to yours so maybe I’ll just wait for Redbox.

15. October 17, 2013 2:05 pm

I’m sure the breathing noises will drive me nuts because once you start hearing that stuff, you can’t stop. I’ll probably end up watching it because my husband really wants to see it, but we’ll just rent it.

16. October 17, 2013 3:16 pm

I saw an interview where she was talking about the breathing…Thats when I knew it was not a movie I could see…

17. October 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Did you see it in 3D? Everyone here at work said the trick is to see it in 3D. That someone, it makes it more believable. I thought there wasn’t any gravity in space? I’m confused.

• October 17, 2013 4:47 pm

3D movies make me feel sick so we saw a regular screening. I’ve heard the 3D IMAX is the way to go.

18. October 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I haven’t heard much about this movie before venturing here. I don’t like action movies, in general. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kathy.

19. October 17, 2013 9:18 pm

I really want to see this but the husband isn’t that interested. I’m going to have to go with a friend.

20. October 17, 2013 9:22 pm

I’m not sure it’s for me. Thanks for your thoughts though.

I will say, I bet it’s full of beautiful space imagery.

21. October 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I am planning to watch it in 3D this weekend. Another Sandra Bullock fan, so very eager!

22. October 18, 2013 7:40 am

I’d heard it wasn’t for people who get motion sickness at some movies – which would be me. Maybe I can handle it on a small screen. I think the breathing would annoy me as well. That all said, I think my hubby will like it and he’ll see it on a big screen.

23. October 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry you didn’t like it much. I’ve wanted to see this since I saw it advertised. I love both Bullock and Clooney, and think I’ve seen every movie they made. The breathing noises was a bit much, but I still want to see it. I want to wait and see it in IMAX 3D though.

24. October 19, 2013 3:25 am

We saw it this week too and after seeing the trailer a few times, I kept saying “let’s go watch Sandra Bullock breath in space!” But I was a bit shocked by how much breathing there really was! Haha!
    I liked it though. I’m a bit scared to space so this was close to a horror movie for me. The 3D experience was worth it though, very immersive!

25. October 19, 2013 11:00 am

I’ll watch this one because I love anything with Sandra Bullock but I’ll wait and rent it.

26. October 19, 2013 11:47 am

This movie is getting such great reviews that I’m curious to see it. Even though I think I’d get spacesick. Interesting about the breathing!

27. October 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed the trailer!

28. October 20, 2013 6:47 am

Jim wants to see the three-D for this one but I tend to react more like you!

29. October 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I’m anxious to see this one both because I love Sandra Bullock and George Clooney AND the trailers have blown me away….with that said ~ I’m picky about breathing noises, eating noises and drinking noises (makes me sound a bit crazy, hmm?) so I’m not so sure if I will see this one

30. October 20, 2013 10:51 pm

I love your honest review of this movie. I love science fiction so I can’t wait to see it. I just won’t do it in 3-D or at an IMAX theater. ;-)

31. October 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I saw the movie over the week-end,wished George Clooney was in it more.A really different kind of a movie.

32. October 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I wish we had seen it in 3D but Jason gets migraines so we watched the regular version. The breathing didn’t bother me and I liked it but didn’t connect with it. It was nice to see Sandra do something different. Love her.

33. October 26, 2013 1:20 pm

No desire to see this.

34. swright9 permalink
    October 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Yep. I saw the 3D version. The shots of space & Earth are quite cool, though you hardly ever relax in this one. I liked the film but didn’t overly LOVE it to death. Here’s my take on it: http://www.thecuecard.com/node/781