Kid Konnection: The Berenstain Bears and the G-Rex Bones

July 6, 2013

The Berenstain Bears and the G-Rex Bones

When Ralph Ripoff and Dr. Zoltan Bearish get together, they come up with a scheme to make millions of  dollars.  They’re going to make a fake dinosaur skeleton to sell to Professor Actual Factual and the Bearsonian Institution.  It’s not just about the money, though; Zoltan wants to ruin the professor’s reputation.

Brother and Sister Bear go on a nature hike with their school and spy something unusual, but they don’t think too much about it until they hear Professor Actual Factual is going to buy some fossils.  They know something’s not right and, when they figure out what’s going on, they enlist Papa Bear to help them prove it.

When Vance was younger, we loved Berenstain Bears books.  Brother and Sister Bear weren’t perfect, but they were good and respectful and they always learned a valuable lesson. Keeping that in mind, I was thrilled to discover a Berenstain Bears chapter book, The Berenstain Bears and the G-Rex Bones by Stan and Jan Berenstain.  It pains me to say this, but I didn’t love this chapter book the way I love their early readers.

Brother and Sister are still good bear cubs and the illustrations are up to their high standards, but I thought the mystery, and the way the cubs solved it, was a little far-fetched.  I did appreciate the way Papa Bear respected and supported the cubs.  I also appreciated the way the cubs worked together but I felt the book could have taken on a more realistic and serious subject.  Of course, I’m not the target audience, and young dinosaur lovers may just dig this book.

There’s an excerpt for another Berenstain Bears chapter book in the back of this book, so apparently there’s a series!  Young readers will probably enjoy revisiting favorite characters.

kid konnection newFor more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
About these ads
  1. July 6, 2013 6:05 am

I personally was never a fan of these series, but I know kids sure love them!

2. July 6, 2013 11:38 am

I loved those bears as a kid, my son wasn’t a huge fan though. We did both agree on the Sweet Pickles books, loved them.

3. July 6, 2013 12:49 pm

Berenstain Bears… flash back!

4. July 6, 2013 1:45 pm

My kids loved these books! Thank you for your honest review, Kathy!

5. July 6, 2013 2:15 pm

What a fun book to read!

6. July 6, 2013 3:09 pm

We used to love these too when my older girls were young and my 9 year old still appreciates them. I do find that some of the newer kids fiction just doesn’t do justice to the originals. Why mess with something that’s not broken?

7. July 6, 2013 10:12 pm

My boys love the bears too, I didn’t really, hated reading them to them, but they soon learned to read for themselves. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. July 7, 2013 10:35 am

I haven’t heard of the Berenstain Bears books. Sounds like this is a great book to read with kids.

9. July 7, 2013 1:15 pm

My kids loved the Berenstein Bears when they were younger. We loved how they taught life lessons for every member of the family, mom and dad included!

10. July 7, 2013 2:10 pm

Too bad the chapter book doesn’t hold up to the originals.

11. July 7, 2013 9:44 pm

Somehow one of these books got into Elle’s basket of books so I picked it up to read. I was surprised at how much she sat through but I was shocked at the heavyhanded tone and moral lecturing! I read these as a kid but don’t remember it being that way!

12. July 8, 2013 2:57 am

My daughter and I liked this series. Good idea that they’ve added a chapter book series. Takes me back!

13. July 8, 2013 5:59 am

My daughter loves the Berenstein Bears :), thanks for the review. We will check it out.

14. July 9, 2013 9:57 pm

I loved the Berenstain Bears and so did The Girl. I wonder what I’d think of them now; it’s been years since I read one.

15. July 14, 2013 11:16 pm

When my boys were little they LOVED these books! I checked them out all of the time for them!