Weekend Cooking: Cheese & Beer

June 16, 2013

Cheese & Beer

Most people know that beer and cheese are great together but knowing what cheese to pair with what beer isn’t always easy.  Enter Janet Fletcher – Fletcher has put together Cheese & Beer to help create the perfect pairings.  She says “success largely rides on contrasts and complements,” and explains why in her wonderful book.  She explains the basics of cheese and beer and tells how to store and serve each one.

After the introductory chapters, each chapter is about a particular style of beer.  Fletcher gives the history of the style of beer, style notes, suggests specific beers to try and cheeses to pair with them.  Her explanations are brief, but detailed enough for readers to branch out on their own – each beer chapter is two pages long.  I really liked the fact that she lists specific beers to try with specific cheeses, but it should be noted that the emphasis is on American craft beers although a few imports are included as well.

The back of the book contains a handy chart for pairings, a glossary, a bibliography and an index.  There are also beautiful photographs spread throughout the book.

When Cheese & Beer arrived, Carl and I thought it was a gorgeous book.  We flipped through it over and over before we sat down to read it.  We marked lots of pairings we wanted to try before we decided the best way to really test out the book was to host a beer and cheese tasting at the store.  For the tasting, we paired:

• Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils with Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam
  • Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bière with Fontina Val D’Aosta
  • Grand Teton Pursuit of Hoppiness with cave aged Gruyere
  • Fuller’s London Porter withe Bleu D’Auvergne

Let me tell you, this tasting was a huge success.  People called the pairings “wonderful” and “brilliant.”  Many even enjoyed beers and/or cheeses they were hesitant to try.  While every pairing had fans, the big winner of the night was the combination of the porter with the blue cheese.  People have been talking about the tasting and many people have dropped in to say they’re sorry they missed it.  We’ll definitely be planning another tasting using Cheese & Beer!  I highly recommend this book – grab a copy if you, or someone you know, loves beer!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.  To see who else is participating this weekend, click on the logo.

Review copy provided by Andrews McMeel Publishing.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.

Bookmark and Share

About these ads
  1. Beth F permalink
    June 16, 2013 6:41 am

First, I’m sooooo happy your beer & cheese pairing event was such a success. How great that customers are still talking about it. Second, I need this book!

2. June 16, 2013 7:41 am

What a fun event!

3. June 16, 2013 8:11 am

That’s AWESOME that you guys held a beer and cheese tasting. It sounds like a lot of fun, and the book is gorgeous.

4. June 16, 2013 8:56 am

What a great event! I’m very tempted to get the book and host a family party – I just know my sisters and their husbands would love it.

5. Jennifer @ The Relentless Reader permalink
    June 16, 2013 9:09 am

That sounds like so much fun! Beer and cheese are two of my favorite things, I think I need to explore this further :)

6. June 16, 2013 11:24 am

I recently did a cheese and side-dish pairing for the lab I work in and it was so much fun! I’m definitely going to have to think about trying your pairings sometime when I have people over. It sounds like they were a great success :)

7. June 16, 2013 11:25 am

What a fun thing to do! Frankly I never thought of pairing beer with cheese instead of wine!

8. June 16, 2013 12:41 pm

O I get hungry just thinking of this. I lovvvvve beer with cheese. Beer cheese soup is divine too.

9. June 16, 2013 1:30 pm

This sounds like a book of perfection! I love the names of the various beers you’ve featured. Your tasting event sounds altogether brilliant.

10. June 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Congratulations on your successful event- it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

11. June 16, 2013 3:19 pm

What a great idea for both a book and an event. I love creativity!

12. June 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Yum! I want to come! Putting that book aside for Den!

13. June 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Sounds like a great book and your tasting makes me want to get this book and do some beer/cheese tastings too! =)

14. June 16, 2013 6:56 pm

You had me at cheese and beer.

15. June 16, 2013 7:21 pm

What a cool way to try out this book!!! I would definitely go if I lived there. Love beer and cheese..who knew it could blend together so well if chosen carefully!!! :D

16. June 16, 2013 9:00 pm

So glad that the book helped at the store, and I just love Beer and Cheese, Wine and Cheese, heck anything with cheese.

17. June 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived just a little bit closer, because I definitely would have eaten up that cheese!

18. lisaalmedasumner permalink
    June 16, 2013 9:25 pm

That sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived just a little bit closer, because I definitely would have come to your cheese and beer pairing!

19. June 17, 2013 1:42 am

Sounds tasty!

20. June 17, 2013 3:15 pm

What a wonderful idea! I think I need to pick up a copy of this book and have a beer and cheese tasting party as well . . . I’m sure it would have fans as I live in Wisconsin!

June 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Matt would probably love this book too! He’s a big fan of beer and cheese! I bet this book will come in handy for hosting events at the store.

22. June 21, 2013 9:29 pm

A prefect book for your store. Our local wine shop has one every Saturday afternoon and charges $5. It’s to taste wine but they do have cheese and crackers too. It’s a huge success so I’m sure that the more you do the more successful it will be :)