BEA 2013 – Part 2

June 14, 2013

BEA_logo

I was lucky enough to attend Book Expo America (or BEA) this year and wrote about my first few days there last week.  This picks up on the third day of my trip – Friday morning.

Friday

Friday was our earliest morning, but Julie and I weren’t complaining because we were having breakfast at Adriana Trigiani‘s!  Believe me when I say getting up early was worth it!  Adriana is the ultimate hostess and we were totally charmed by her and  thrilled to meet her neighbor John Searles.

After breakfast, we hopped into a cab with Candace and got over to the Javits just in time for Book Group Speed Dating.  This wonderful event is presented by Reading Group Guides and highlights great books for book clubs to read.  Publishers are given 10 minutes to pitch a handful of books before they have to move on to the next table.  This is a fantastic way to learn about new books – the enthusiasm of the publishers sold me on several books I would never have considered otherwise.  The books that stood out to me are:

From there, Julie and I walked the floor a little bit before meeting Candace and the ever delightful Chelsy, of Big Honcho Media, for lunch.  We ended up going to Clyde Frazier’s Wine and Dine (at least I think that’s its name) and we were all pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  After a quick trip to The Pony Bar, we headed back to the Javits for a little while.  I discovered quite a few books that day including:

Before we knew it, it was time to head to The Tipsy Parson for a cocktail party with Dorothea Benton Frank.  This party was so much fun!  Dottie kept us entertained while we enjoyed Southern dishes like boiled peanuts, cheese straws and deviled eggs.

After that it was time to head to Farrar, Straus & Giroux for their party.  It was fun catching up with everyone there and chatting with a few of their authors, including Eli Brown, author of Cinnamon and Gunpowder.

We were all hungry after that, so Julie and I joined Alison and Candace for dinner at Smith and Wollensky before we called it a night.

Saturday

On Saturday morning, we met our friend Miriam and her precious dog, Leo, at Bryant Park for breakfast.  Leo sat on my lap for a while and totally won my heart.

Miriam and Leo

Miriam and Leo

Julie and Miriam had to leave after breakfast so I decided to head to the TKTS kiosk again.  I was lucky enough to score a ticket for the Tony Award winning play Pippin and I enjoyed every minute of it.  There was so much going on that I’d go see it again just to be able to take more of it in.

After the play, I met Candace, Jill, Cindy, and Sheila for dinner and drinks at Tir Na Nog.  It was fun to sit, relax, and chat for a while.

Sunday

My flight didn’t leave until 6PM on Sunday so I met Nicole and her cousin for breakfast.  Breakfast was short lived though, because Nicole’s cousin wasn’t feeling well.

I decided to stroll back to the hotel since I had a lot of time to kill and hadn’t gotten very far before I got a text from Carl telling me my flight had been canceled.  I quickly checked my email and discovered that not only had my flight been canceled but Delta had booked me on a flight leaving the next day.  I practically sprinted back to the hotel and called the airline, only to be told they had a high volume of calls and would return my call within the hour.  Not knowing what else to do, I grabbed a cab and headed to the airport.  Delta called me back and, after a little arguing, they found a way to get me home – through Detroit.  The people in Detroit couldn’t have been nicer – since the flight was delayed, they served drinks and snacks in the waiting area and gave out complimentary drinks on the flight.  I had a fantastic time in New York, but after all of that, I was happy to be home!

1. June 14, 2013 5:54 am

Aside from flight problems sounds like a nice end of your trip. Glad you got to enjoy some of NYC while you were here.

2. June 14, 2013 6:24 am

I swear New York never wants you to leave! I was so happy to spend so much time with you and Julie. It was a fantastic week.

3. June 14, 2013 8:04 am

Sounds like you had a great time at BEA. I’m glad you were able to fly on the day you wanted. I’ve connected through Detroit several times and love that airport :)

4. June 14, 2013 8:44 am

Great post. Detroit does have a very nice airport.

Enjoy your day!!

5. June 14, 2013 9:45 am

So cool that you got to meet Miriam and Leo! I also love that you got to see Pippin!
    So sorry about your flight though. I’m glad Delta took care of you!

6. June 14, 2013 9:45 am

What an adventure! So many good things. Miriam’s dog is adorable. I’m always seeing his pic on instagram. ;)

7. June 14, 2013 9:53 am

I feel like you always have the worst travel luck for BEA!

The breakfast with Adriana is something that I almost felt physical pain missing. But I’ll be at BEA next year, so I’m already looking forward to it!

8. June 14, 2013 10:16 am

Great recap!

9. June 14, 2013 11:40 am

Sounds like you had such a great time, glad to hear you made it back safely.

10. lab1990 permalink
    June 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Sounds like you had a blast! that’s awesome you were able to meet so many fabulous people. And being in NY definitely means going to a Broadway show. I saw West Side Story the last time I was there. Glad you loved Pippin.

I was excited to see you mention Emily Liebert’s upcoming novel. I intern for her, so yay! :)

11. sandynawrot permalink
    June 14, 2013 12:43 pm

OMG I want that dog! This sounds like so much fun. And I think every time you travel, you just have to expect some kind of nonsense like that.

12. June 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Kathy, it sounds like you had a great time, overall. Thanks for sharing your BEA experience. I’ll bet that breakfast was divine! :)

13. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Wow … what an amazing time you had at BEA. I love this post, it made me feel like I was right there with you!

14. June 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Hello Kathy…thank you so much for coming to visit my blog and leaving such a lovely comment! Of course I had to come to see yours…and I am SO glad I did.:) I loved your recap of the BEA event…you did such a great job that, as the comment above me said, I felt like I was there with you.:) I lived in NYC for the first 25 years of my life…but live in the Colorado Rockies now and always felt it was too far a trip to make ‘just’ to look at books.:) But you’ve made it sound like such an amazing event, perhaps I will have to rethink that. I just returned 2 weeks ago from speaking at Asian Festival of Children’s Content…I guess if I can fly to Singapore, I can fly to NYC. :)
    I’m so glad you were able to get home safely, without too much inconvenience. I’m planning to re-blog your post because I think you’ve captured the essence of BEA and NYC.

15. June 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Now that’s the way to do BEA!

16. June 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow! Sounds like you had a blast. What an amazing experience.

17. June 14, 2013 7:15 pm

After reading Vivian Kirkwood’s post about your blog, I decided to visit. I really enjoyed reading your personal recap of your time at the BEA. It sounded like an amazing experience. Vivian is right, I felt like I was there with you. Great post!

18. June 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow, great adventures! I think of all your wonderful events, breakfast at Adriana Trigiani’s sounds the best to me. Thanks for sharing!

19. June 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Did you get to see George Pelecanos? I’m a big fan of his. The Turnaround and The Way Home were both excellent.

20. June 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Fun fun fun.
    One of these years I’m sneaking into your suitcase.

21. June 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Your BEA experience, minus the flight home, was just amazing to read!! Seeing blogging friends, authors and those involved in publishing sounds heavenly!! Cute dog, great food, and a some cool new books! Some I’ve already got in my TBR wish list, and a few in egalley.
    Thank you so much for sharing your trip!!

22. June 14, 2013 10:44 pm

My DH is not a huge fan of my reading obsession. But maybe he’ll let me plan to go to BEA next year. It sounds like you had a great time. I’m glad you got home safely… and not too late. :-)

23. June 15, 2013 12:53 am

You really made the most of your trip! Leo is such an adorable little pup. Glad you got to see a show and meet up with some fabulous authors and bloggers.

24. June 15, 2013 8:38 am

Seems like you had one fantastic time! Did you say “AT” Adriana Trigiani’s?!?!? How amazing! :)

25. June 15, 2013 9:50 am

This post left me breathless. You were so busy but it sounds like every minute was fun, well, except for your return flight. Thank you for sharing your experiences!!!!

26. June 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounds like you had a great time…I would be exhausted after all those parties and gatherings. Glad you got home OK, even after the flight being canceled. Detroit has a hospitable airport…wonderful.

27. June 15, 2013 6:04 pm

What a great trip you had! I hope to get to BEA one of thes years. Glad the folks in Detroit took good care of you! I like to connect thru Detroit.

28. June 15, 2013 10:03 pm

If I ever make it to BEA I’ll need you girls to take me under your wing!

29. June 16, 2013 12:57 am

Great recap Kathy! How fun to hang with Miriam and her puppy! What a bummer abut your trip home… my heart would have failed if they would have cancelled my flight…

30. June 16, 2013 10:40 am

It sounds like you had a great and busy time! Thanks for sharing your stories and photos.

31. June 16, 2013 7:27 pm

You should’ve messaged me!! I would’ve met up with you at the airport in Detroit!! :D

32. June 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Loved having breakfast with you and Julie! Glad you enjoyed it!
    Have a great summer!
    Much love xoxo Adriana

June 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Oh my gosh — you make it sound like all we did was eat and drink… Although in hindsight, that might have been the case.

34. June 21, 2013 6:33 am

MY SIL has a black and brown Cavalier like that and her daughter has (2). They are the best companions and sweetest dogs.