At the movies: Side Effects

March 8, 2013

Side Effects

Emily Taylor and her husband, Martin, had been living large until he went to prison for insider trading.  His imprisonment and her change of lifestyle threw Emily into a funk so she started seeing a psychiatrist.  When Martin is released from prison, Emily’s depression doesn’t lift and, since she’s moved, she begins seeing a new psychiatrist – Dr. Banks.  When nothing else works, he tries Emily on a newly released drug, Ablixa.  When Emily does something unimaginable, the drug’s side effects are blamed.  Dr. Banks comes under fire for prescribing the drug for Emily and he’s determined to get to the bottom of things and clear his name.

Even though I’d seen the trailer for Side Effects before I went to see it, I had no idea what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie.  It’s a little strange, to be sure, and full of twists and turns, but I was fully engaged and never got bored.  I thought about the movie for several days after I saw it and did question one aspect of it, but overall, I think it’s well worth seeing.

I thought both Rooney Mara (Emily) and Jude Law (Dr. Banks) played their roles very well.  After this movie and The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, I’m officially a fan or Mara’s.  Channing Tatum had a very small role as Emily’s husband, Martin, and it seemed he was just there for eye candy, not that I’m complaining.  I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones as Emily’s first doctor was an odd choice and their attempts to play down her beauty were rather pointless and distracting.

If you like movies with twists and turns that keep you guessing you may want to see this one in the theater.

About these ads
  1. March 8, 2013 6:35 am

This DID look good, and got decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I’m not really sure of Tatum is ever going to impress us with his acting skills but as long as he takes off his shirt…

Anyway, maybe we will rent on Netflix.

2. March 8, 2013 7:11 am

Oh I’m not sure I would have thought of watching this, but I trust your opinion. I’ll add it to my list.

3. March 8, 2013 7:27 am

I’ve heard mixed things about this movie. But I love movies in general (unless they are gory) so I’ll keep this one in mind!

4. March 8, 2013 9:28 am

Although I thought it was good (didn’t love it), I did appreciate that the movie generated a lot of discussion. My wife and the friends we saw it with spent much of the post-movie evening talking about it. That has value all by itself (sort of a mini-book club).

5. March 8, 2013 10:55 am

Sounds like a good one!

6. Beth Hoffman permalink
    March 8, 2013 11:34 am

I think it might give me nightmares!

7. March 8, 2013 12:08 pm

Whoa. What a trailer. Everyone seems perfectly cast too. Jude is perfect for the maybe slimy doc.

8. March 8, 2013 2:04 pm

Glad you liked Side Effects! I think my husband liked it more than I did overall, but the more I thought about it and realized the type of movie it really was, I could appreciate it better. It’s almost a Hitchcockian style which surprised me.
    Could have used a little more Channing Tatum though :)

9. March 8, 2013 2:09 pm

I’ll have to watch for this one when it gets released on DVD.

10. March 8, 2013 3:26 pm

I love movies like this! Thank you for sharing!

11. March 8, 2013 4:18 pm

I’ve been curious about this one…and on the fence. But after reading your thoughts, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.

12. March 8, 2013 4:49 pm

Excellent review, Kathy! I think we have pretty similar taste in movies, and that I’d also enjoy Side Effects.

March 9, 2013 8:13 am

Interesting review. I like that it made you think for a few days — always a sign of a good movie (or book!)

14. March 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Never heard of this movie, but now I really want to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation.

15. March 10, 2013 11:21 pm

I want to see this one!

16. March 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I wondered if this one was any good!! I might have to go see it!

17. March 12, 2013 6:42 am

It got sort of mixed reviews, didn’t it…but I think it looks interesting.

18. March 15, 2013 11:23 pm

The trailer for this one has definitely intrigued me. Although as you noted, it doesn’t give a full explanation of what the movie is actually about. It looks dark but I am a fan of Roony Mara and Jude Law so maybe I will head out to the theater and give this one a shot.

19. March 16, 2013 8:58 pm

I went in with little info too and enjoyed it — it was a great little thriller and I thought Jude and Rooney were great. I have to ask — what part bothered you?

20. March 22, 2013 5:21 pm

The trailer looks great! Might have to try to drag hubby to the theater soon-thanks!
    Kerri