February 20, 2013

My words this week come from Drinking With Men by Rosie Schaap.

1. discursive – “He had a sharp and confident, if not downright arrogant, discursive style that lent itself well to debates, in which he habitually prevailed.”

Discursive has several meanings:

1. moving from topic to topic without order: rambling
  2. marked by analytical reasoning
  3. of or relating to discourse

I was surprised by the difference in the meanings of discursive.  From the context, I think the author meant the second meaning, marked by analytical reasoning.

_____________________________________________________

2. simulacrum – “And every subsequent visit to the Man of Kent held out the possibility that something a little magical might happen, even if it was just a conversation with John, or the first cheeseburger I bit into after seven years of vegetariansim, or just the simple pleasure of introducing someone who’d never been there before to this place, this special place where a chicken might wander in at any moment, where surprised English tourists might pop in and be startled at first by this more-than-the-real-thing, more-English-than-the-English but still very upstate New York simulacrum of something so familiar to them, where the respect of a good barman made at least one college girl feel like a citizen of the world.”

Simulacrum is an image or representation.

_____________________________________________________

3. loci – “It has managed to retain its spirit, its its singular genius loci.”

I felt like I should have known loci but I couldn’t define it, so I looked it up.  My dictionary defines it as locus, which I had to look up as well.  Locus is the place where something is situated or occurs: site, location.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

About these ads
  1. February 20, 2013 6:01 am

Locus/loci is from the Latin for place and is the root of our word location. Locus is the singular and loci is plural.

2. thewrredhead permalink
    February 20, 2013 6:13 am

Ooh I knew the last two today! I had heard discursive before but didn’t know the definition. Great words!

3. readerbuzz permalink
    February 20, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks for sharing these words!

4. February 20, 2013 8:34 am

Funny about the cheeseburger. I just read a book in which the (sort of not human) girl doesn’t eat ANYTHING for 10 years, and then has an In-N-out Burger and it is also very magical! LOL

5. February 20, 2013 8:58 am

I knew discursive but drew a blank with the others. Great words, Kathy!

6. February 20, 2013 8:58 am

I had seen discursive in reading before, but never simulacrum. That is a strange one. Loci makes sense. I have a little Latin knowledge ( Freshman in HS, 50+ years ago), but was pretty confident that it had to do with location. Thanks for the words.

7. February 20, 2013 9:48 am

I agree- it’s odd that discursive can mean “rambling” and also “analytical”-these seem like antonyms to me! Thanks for sharing- discursive is one of those words that I know I should know… and now I do. Even if it confuses me!

8. zibilee permalink
    February 20, 2013 11:58 am

I totally had the wrong definition for discursive. I thought it meant blunt and short-tempered. I was really wrong on that one, but thanks for setting me straight! It’s always embarrassing to use a word improperly!

9. February 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I liked that whole big sentence containing simulacrum. All those words made me curious about the book.

10. February 20, 2013 1:36 pm

simulacrum was the word of the semester for my postmodernism course in grad school. I’m not sure what kind of memories you just stirred up for me. ;)

11. February 20, 2013 3:02 pm

New to me

12. February 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Well…I am totally discursive!

13. February 20, 2013 5:42 pm

All new to me and I like ‘loci’.

14. February 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I have seen loci and discursive before, but simulacrum is new to me. Love it! :-)

15. February 20, 2013 9:34 pm

I don’t want my comment to be discursive–or do I? Is loci the plural for locus? Simulacrum is new to me, and will be hard to remember. Excellent words this week, Kathy!

16. February 20, 2013 11:04 pm

These are tough ones this week. Loci sounds like a slang word for location- I’m guessing a bar considering the subject matter of the book. Thanks for sharing these new words!

17. February 20, 2013 11:16 pm

The only one familiar to me today was discursive although I didn’t realize it could mean one of three things. I only knew it as rambling.

18. February 23, 2013 7:14 pm

I must get a daily word calendar or something…I feel very uneducated sometimes!! LOL!!