Author event and giveaway: Jen Lancaster
Jen Lancaster was recently in town for a Book Your Lunch event, hosted by Fiction Addiction, and it was so much fun! Jen has always loved to write and used to read a lot of essays as a kid – Erma Bombeck was a favorite. She wanted to study journalism in college but her father persuaded her not to. After Jen was rejected for a cashiering job because she was overqualified, she started her “bitter” web site and hasn’t looked back. Since 2006, she’s sold over a million books! Because so much of Jen’s life is out there in her books, she answered her most frequently asked questions as only she can! If laughter is the best medicine, I got a healthy dose of it at her event. Some of the highlights of her talk were:
- Jen’s first novel, IF YOU WERE HERE, was well received by new readers but fans of her memoirs were confused – they thought it was about her and couldn’t figure out why she changed her name in the book. She really wants her career as a writer to be in fiction.
- She got the idea for HERE I GO AGAIN when her husband was planning his high school reunion. She added time travel so people would know it wasn’t about her.
- Everyday life inspires Jen. She claims to be unbelievably nosy and says she pays attention.
- Jen says she lacks the “shame gene.” She said she has shame but isn’t smart enough to keep it to herself.
- She said we should “never be afraid of being humble.” She hopes her embarrassing stories make people feel better about their lives.
During the question and answer portion we learned:
- Jen does not miss living in the city and has been more productive since she moved.
- She has a new memoir, THE TAO OF MARTHA coming out in June. There was some interest in making it into a TV show but right now it doesn’t look like that will happen. Her next novel will be about sibling rivalry between two sisters.
- Getting to know people is different since Jen has put her whole life out there in her memoirs.
- Jen has never put anything in her books against anyone’s will.
I got Jen to autograph a copy of HERE I GO AGAIN (my review) for one lucky reader. (Wait until you see the fabulous cover that’s under the dust jacket!) To enter to win an autographed copy of HERE I GO AGAIN, by Jen Lancaster, simply fill out this entry form. Contest is open worldwide – one entry per person, please. I will use random.org to determine the winner. Contest ends at midnight EDT Thursday, February 14, 2013. Comments are welcome (and appreciated) but will not get you an entry in the contest.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)