At the movies: Parental Guidance

January 20, 2013

Parental-Guidance-Quad-

Phil’s invention is up for an award and he wants Alice to go to the ceremony with him.  His parents can’t come to stay with the kids so, in desperation, they turn to hers.  Her parents don’t know the kids that well and don’t really understand Phil and Alice’s parenting style.  Chaos and comedy reign with her parents in charge but, in the end, they all learn from each other.

We needed a laugh so a friend and I headed to see Parental Guidance, starring Billy Crystal and Bette Midler.  The movie is rated PG, so it’s one most of the family can see, and enjoy, but the audience was decidedly older the day we went.  I’ve read that the movie is based on an experience in Billy Crystal’s life.  My friend and I thought the movie was cute, so we enjoyed it, but neither of us thought it was outstanding.  The acting was fine but some of the scenarios were a little over the top – we still laughed throughout the movie and shed a tear or two at the end.  You don’t need to rush to the theater for this one, but it will probably be a fun movie to rent.

About these ads
  1. January 20, 2013 4:59 am

I watched this with my family and boy, we had a good laugh. You’re right, it wasn’t outstanding but it did carry a wonderful message. We enjoyed it very much!

2. January 20, 2013 6:36 am

That is kinda what I thought it would be. Like a movie I might watch if it were on in the airplane or something.

3. January 20, 2013 6:40 am

My sister saw it with her family and thought it was cute. The ads didn’t appeal to me at all so over the holidays I saw Guilt Trip (meh). I wish I’d gone to see Parental Guidance instead.

4. January 20, 2013 8:13 am

The previews have looked pretty funny.

5. booknaround permalink
    January 20, 2013 9:31 am

I figured it would be exactly what you’ve said so while I haven’t seen it yet, if we’re looking for a family friendly, cute movie any time soon, this one is definitely on the list.

6. January 20, 2013 9:53 am

Parental Guidance is hilarious because it’s true. So many modern moms think their own parents are incompetent with the kids.

7. January 20, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks for your honesty. I hadn’t heard of this one.

8. January 20, 2013 12:17 pm

I love Billy Crystal but I’ll probably wait until this comes out on DVD.

9. January 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Looks funny. Glad it provided the laugh you were looking for :) There are so many heavy movies out now it’s nice to see a lighter option out there.

10. January 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I am so glad that you had a fun relaxing time!

11. January 20, 2013 4:32 pm

I enjoy both actors and had been thinking of going to see this one…but I seem to wait for the DVD more often than not these days! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

12. January 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Sometimes it’s good to see a movie that doesn’t keep you up at night with it’s message, and just enjoy some antics. Sort of like the Lucy shows were.

13. January 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I agree, not outstanding, but a good rental. I laughed out loud in some spots and enjoyed myself when my daughter and I saw it together

14. January 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I’m all up for a fun movie when in the mood. Even if it can be unbelievable. Looks like this fits the bill well. But I may still wait for the DVD of this one.

15. January 20, 2013 6:57 pm

We were going to see this one on Christmas Day when it first came out but the Boy and Hub did not want to see it. So, I still haven’t see it.

16. January 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I like both Billy Crystal and Bette Midler and this sounds like a fun one.

17. January 20, 2013 8:34 pm

My husband took my son to see this and my son thought it was HILARIOUS!! I think the name “Fartie” was what did it!

18. January 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Billy Crystal never fails to make me laugh, but I’m not a Bette Midler fan. I’d probably see this with my kids on DVD.

19. January 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I hadn’t even heard of this one before now.

20. booksnyc permalink
    January 20, 2013 11:09 pm

I saw this and liked it – agree with your assessment completely. I told my parents to rent it – I think, as grandparents, they would find it very funny.

21. January 21, 2013 2:34 pm

For some reason the preview of this movie didn’t appeal to me. I looked like there would be some laughs, but it seemed rather contrived. I like your suggestion to wait until its available on dvd.

January 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Sounds like a good escape movie!!

23. January 21, 2013 10:10 pm

I like Billy Crystal, but was thinking it could wait for tv :)