January 9, 2013

My words this week come from The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro.

1. stylobate – “The roof is glass and the floor is a sensuous garden filled with freestanding columns, whimsical twelfth-century lion stylobates and all manner of statuary.”

A stylobate is a continuous flat coping or pavement supporting a row of architectural columns.

_____________________________________________________

2. desaponify – “I find a spot where paint has leaked over and hold the alcohol swab just over the surface: if the paint is new, the alcohol fumes will cause it to soften, to desaponify.”

Even though the meaning of this is pretty evident from the sentence, I decided to look it up.  I couldn’t find a definition in my dictionary or online, so I assume desaponify means to soften.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

About these ads
  1. January 9, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Kathy,

I love the sound of this book and what a couple of great words you came across.

I guess that as ‘saponify’ is a word and something can undergo ‘saponification’, then logically, that same thing can undergo ‘desaponification’ or ‘desaponify’! Or perhaps the author is just using a little ‘poetic licence’.

I love the sound of ‘stylobate’, although I am not sure when I would ever find cause to use it!

I have added this book to my reading list, so thanks for a great post and for hosting.

Yvonne

2. January 9, 2013 5:07 am

Saponification is certainly a word, it is the process of mixing fat and acid to make soap, here he’s using it to break the paint I think, a little more than softening perhaps.

January 9, 2013 6:40 am

You certainly have smart commenters! I wasn’t familiar with saponify but, like you, I could tell from the context of the sentence.

4. January 9, 2013 7:24 am

I’ve never heard of either of these, so thank you for expanding my vocabulary. I’ll have to use saponify today in the studio with a Q tip.

5. rubyport permalink
    January 9, 2013 7:56 am

Very interesting! I also have words this week that I couldn’t easily find definitions for and that I will probably never use in a sentence. But it is till good to know them.

6. January 9, 2013 9:13 am

Such interesting words ! I’d heard of saponification, but certainly not desaponify. The Art Forger sounds like a fascinating read.

7. January 9, 2013 9:26 am

Purlieu: environs or neighborhood

8. January 9, 2013 9:55 am

I didn’t know either word. I hope your enjoying The Art Forger, I’ve read so many positive reviews.

9. Beth Hoffman permalink
    January 9, 2013 10:23 am

I’ve never heard of “desaponify” … you always come up with great words, Kathy!

10. January 9, 2013 10:27 am

One of the Disney studio buildings in Burbank has a ‘stylobate’ comprised of the 7 Dwarfs – I’ve enjoyed glimpses of this whimsical building as I’ve driven by but had no idea what the call the architectural feature. So cool – thanks for the education! here’s a link that has a picture of the Disney building with stylobate if you’re interested. http://architecture.about.com/cs/greatarchitects/a/disney.htm

• January 9, 2013 11:40 am

Cool Sim- thanks for including the picture. That really helps the meaning stick in my head!

11. January 9, 2013 10:28 am

that should read ‘what to call ‘ not ‘what the call’. Me tired. Must get coffee.

12. zibilee permalink
    January 9, 2013 10:30 am

These are both great words from a book that I hope to read soon. I have it here, it’s just a matter of making time for it. Nice job picking words that are new to me today, Kathy!

13. January 9, 2013 11:40 am

As a closet artist, I loved learning these new terms, and reading the discussion around them. Thanks for sharing and hosting the meme!

14. January 9, 2013 12:49 pm

Those are definitely words that are not easy to randomly toss into a conversation!

15. January 9, 2013 1:13 pm

Since “saponify” is a word I guess you could de-saponify something. And stylobate is not a word I’ve ever heard before.

16. January 9, 2013 1:49 pm

Both words were new to me. I really want to read The Art Forger. It is on my TBR list, I may have to move it up a couple of places.

17. January 9, 2013 2:00 pm

Lots of “word people” this week – Yay. I like all the help you got for desaponify. All the good comments add to your great post.

18. January 9, 2013 3:09 pm

Great, new to me words today! Kathy, I’d hoped to do a WWW post today, but time slipped by too quickly! So, I will enjoy the words that others present! :)

19. January 9, 2013 3:50 pm

Well I ended up learning a bit about soap, art and paint when I ended up on wikipedia reading about “saponification.” I wouldn’t have had a clue about either word that you featured.

20. January 9, 2013 4:29 pm

I’ve not heard of either of these, so thanks for sharing them with us! :)

21. January 9, 2013 7:11 pm

These are big vocab words this week! I think I’d need to keep my dictionary handy to read The Art Forger. I do like the writing style from the sample sentences.

22. softdrink permalink
    January 9, 2013 7:30 pm

I played fley in WWF and Lisa made me use it in a sentence. The nerve! So now I know that fley means to frighten. At least to an ancient Scot.

23. January 9, 2013 8:30 pm

I have never heard those words before. I don’t know what I would do now without all the online dictionaries that are in the readers. Good words today!

24. January 10, 2013 12:32 am

I’ve never heard of desaponify, but I know that saponify means to form a soapy substance.

25. January 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Both of these words are new to me! I need to start using them now :)

26. January 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I think something has desaponified my brain!! :D Hahhahhaha!

27. January 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I was going to venture a guess that he meant that the substance was breaking down…desaponified. I love it when authors use words to trip us up! :]

28. becca7931 permalink
    January 11, 2013 7:35 am

I think I am going to start participating in this meme again next week. I have been discovering so many interesting new words lately!