Kid Konnection: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

November 24, 2012

The folks at Random Acts of Reading recently asked bloggers what backlist book they’d like to promote and I chose Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald since I adored the series as a child.  When I noticed the audio version of the book is narrated by none other than Karen White, I decided I needed to give it a listen to see if it has retained its magic and, I’m happy to say, for the most part it has.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is a widow with an upside down house and a buried treasure in her backyard.  She loves and understands children so she knows just what to do to get them to behave.  Children love her back and their parents turn to her for advice on things like quarreling, staying up too late, and not bathing.

I very much enjoyed listening to this audio book even though parts of it are dated – such as the children’s names and even the tasks assigned to them.  The book was written in the 1940s so that’s to be expected.  The problems the parents are upset about seem pretty tame in today’s world but that’s okay since this book is intended for early readers.   I do think Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s approach will make children think about their behavior.

Karen White does a great job with the narration.  She reads the book at a little slower pace because of the intended audience and it worked great.  I do think this book will appeal more to girls than boys.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affliate.
About these ads
  1. November 24, 2012 9:21 am

OMG I want to try this on audio.

2. November 24, 2012 9:59 am

That looks like a fun one and on audio!

3. November 24, 2012 10:09 am

My 10yo son adores Mrs.Piggle-Wiggle (even if he doesn’t like to admit it). :)

4. November 24, 2012 11:44 am

Love, love, love these books! I’ll never forget the child who refused to bathe. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s solution? Plant seeds her arms, water at night, and wait until she sprouts!

5. November 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Excellent choice!! I love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books!! I put one on my son’s shelf for him to “discover” on his own (just like he discovered Shel Silverstein a week ago.) I find that if I just plant the books there and he finds them on his own, it works better than me trying to force them on him. And you need to see the illustrations — they enhance the book so much!

6. November 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I will have to add this title to the sweet grand baby’s growing library. Love me some Karen white!

7. November 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Love this series…I used to read her to my class all of the time!

8. November 24, 2012 4:07 pm

So glad you enjoyed Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Kathy. I loved narrating this whole series. Great characters, and tho it’s dated, I love the idea of having freshly baked cake after school every day :)

9. November 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I had forgotten about Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! I loved those books as a child. I’ll have to find some for my kids now.

10. November 25, 2012 8:02 pm

I still have kids who check out this book!! :D

11. November 26, 2012 2:24 pm

I love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! Your post brought back fond memories. It’s so true about the outdated parts. Some of the books I adored as a child didn’t mean as much to my kids. It did bring up some good discussions though because some things just didn’t make sense to them. And they weren’t as fun for me either.

12. November 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Totally loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!

November 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! Sounds pretty cute though.