Author event and giveaway: Dorothea Benton Frank
I was lucky enough to see Dorothea Benton Frank at another Book Your Lunch event recently. Her latest book, Porch Lights, was released on June 12 and Dottie was thrilled to learn that woman who took the photo for its cover was in attendance.
Dottie was born and raised on Sullivan’s Island, SC and currently divides her time between there and New Jersey. She lives in New Jersey (and likes it there) because she’s “married to a Yankee” but plans to retire to South Carolina because she thinks there’s something special about the southeastern United States. She serves on the board of the South Carolina Historical Society and does a lot of her research there.
Porch Lights is Dottie’s thirteenth book set in the lowcountry of South Carolina. Like her last book, Folly Beach, it features a historical figure. When she discovered Edgar Allen Poe lived on Sullivan’s Island when he was in the Army, an idea formed in her mind. She did her research by re-reading a lot of Poe’s work plus many biographies about him. He was a fascinating man and was the first American writer to totally support himself with his writing.
During the question and answer period we learned:
- Dottie said she thinks readers are very smart so everyone can understand the Southern nuances in her books.
- For Dottie, the best part of being a writer is being heard and having the opportunity to listen to other’s stories.
- All of Dottie’s books will be set in the lowcountry.
- Her first book was published in 2000 and writing hasn’t gotten any easier since then.
- Make-up artist Bobbi Brown’s husband, Steven Plofker, won a charity auction to have a character named after him in Porch Lights!
Just for fun, here’s Dottie with Leah Rucker, the woman who took the cover photo:
I got Dottie to autograph a copy of Porch Lights for one lucky reader. To enter to win an autographed copy of PORCH LIGHTS, simply fill out the entry form. Contest is open worldwide – one entry per person, please. I will use random.org to determine the winner. Contest ends at midnight EDT Saturday, July 14, 2012. Winner will be announced on Sunday, July 15, 2012. Comments are welcome (and appreciated) but will not get you an entry in the contest.