Kid Konnection: Story of the Titanic

April 28, 2012
tags: ,

With all the interest in the Titanic this year, DK Publishing has published a beautiful book for young readers, Story of the Titanic.  The book is approximately 10 inches by 12 inches and has thick, glossy pages with illustrations by Steve Noon, as well as photographs.

Story of Titanic starts with some background on the ship, its design, and what it took to build it.  From there, the story is told in a timeline of sorts – the date is in the upper left hand corner of each page spread.  This book really puts a human face on the ship and its tragedy for young readers.

Since this is a DK book, I went in with high expectations and, I’m happy to say, it exceeded them!  I love the cross section of the ship and the little tidbits included along with the story.  I even learned a thing or two as I read it – for instance, the most expensive suites cost $2,493!

This book is visually very appealing as well.   Noon’s full color illustrations are gorgeous and detailed.  Young readers are given figures to spot in many of the pictures and I’m proud to say I found every one of them!

I liked the fact that a few pages on the search for the remains of the Titanic are included.  There’s also a glossary of terms and an index in the back of the book.  This book is recommended for ages 8 to 11 – those interested in the Titanic will love it!

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won a copy of this book from DK Publishing on Twitter.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
About these ads
  1. April 28, 2012 5:06 am

I totally have to get this book for my daughter (and myself) since we are both fascinated by the Titanic story! Thanks for the recommendation!

2. bonniejacobs permalink
    April 28, 2012 6:31 am

So by finding all the figures you were to spot, you proved you are as smart as a fifth grader (ages 10-11). Congratulations!

3. April 28, 2012 8:41 am

My kids would love this! Those DK books are great and one about the
    Titanic is even better!

4. April 28, 2012 10:02 am

I ***LOVE LOVE LOVE*** DK! I think they just do the best stuff. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a DK book even if I never saw it!!!

5. April 28, 2012 10:31 am

A Titanic book by DK? Count me in! Looks great, thanks for posting about it today!

April 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I think this book looks fantastic. I took the kids to see the traveling Titanic exhibit a few years ago and thought it was fascinating.

7. April 28, 2012 2:23 pm

I love books on Titanic anyway and this one sounds like it is just as good…

8. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    April 28, 2012 5:20 pm

DK books have never let me down! This sounds like a great one to add to my school collection. The students are obsessed with the Titanic at all times…those books are always checked out!

9. April 29, 2012 10:30 pm

This one looks great. I think I’d like it now and Gage would later. Okay, I could wait and get it when Gage will actually appreciate it, but where’s the fun in that?

10. April 30, 2012 10:02 am

Melissa is totally enamored of the Titanic and all the stories surrounding it. I think she has watched the movie something like 20 times. I am betting she would love this book!

11. April 30, 2012 11:23 am

Did you hear about all of those high school students on Twitter who just found out that the Titanic is a true story? All this time they just thought it was a story in a movie. So for that reason, I’m glad to see children’s books about it.

12. April 30, 2012 5:44 pm

My son has been asking questions about the Titanic so this might be the perfect book to explore with him.

13. April 30, 2012 6:36 pm

This looks fantastic! The Girl and I started reading a Titanic Sinks! by Barry Denenberg, but we found it pretty dry and abandoned it. We should look for this one instead.

14. May 1, 2012 8:08 am

I usually love DK books too, I enjoy their travel books. This one looks interesting.

15. boardinginmyforties permalink
    May 24, 2012 1:15 pm

My son would have loved this book when he was in the 8-11 age range. He was obsessed with the Titanic for a few months and read everything about it. I even took him to the Titanic musical when it toured through San Francisco.