Author event and giveaway: Bret Lott
I’m sure Bret Lott’s name is familiar with most readers since one of his books, Jewel, was an Oprah Book Club pick in 1999. I read Jewel way-back-when so I was excited to attend Bret’s literary lunch hosted by Hub City Books. I discovered that Bret was not a one hit wonder and has, in fact, written thirteen books. His newest, Dead Low Tide, is the sequel to The Hunt Club, a popular book he wrote in 1999.
Even though he was born in Los Angeles, Bret has southern roots – his mother’s from Mississippi and his father’s from Texas – so he grew up eating grits. He began teaching creative writing at the College of Charleston in 1998 and has lived there ever since, except for a three year stint as the editor of The Southern Review.
Bret says writers sees themselves as outsiders looking in. He doesn’t outline as he writes. His wife and his agent are his first readers and will tell him when something doesn’t work. There was a lot of enthusiasm for his work at the lunch, so I’d say they’re doing a great job.
I got Bret to autograph a copy of Dead Low Tide for one lucky reader. To enter to win an autographed copy of DEAD LOW TIDE simply fill out the entry form. Contest is open worldwide – one entry per person, please. I will use random.org to determine the winner. Contest ends at midnight EST Friday, March 30, 2012. Winner will be announced on Saturday, March 31, 2012. Comments are welcome (and appreciated) but will not get you an entry in the contest.
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)