Midnight in Paris

July 15, 2011

Inez and her fiancée Gil accompany her parents to Paris on a business trip.  Gil is a screenwriter who is attempting to write his first novel, and he is enamored with Paris and hopes to live there one day.  Inez and her parents don’t feel the same way, and they’re not so thrilled that Gil has given up his screen writing job in order to pursue his passion.  Things become difficult when friends of Inez show up and try to monopolize all of the young couple’s time.  Gil just wants to explore Paris, and begs off one evening so he can do just that.  He finds himself lost and at the stroke of midnight, he is magically transported to a Paris he’s only dreamed of.   Through repeated visits he learns much about himself and his life and decides to make some changes.

I went to see Midnight in Paris with a friend I met when we were both ex-pats in France.  We both enjoyed the movie and loved seeing Paris in it.  (The beautiful scenery actually has me longing to visit there again.)  We were also thrilled that we could understand much of the French that’s spoken in the movie.  (Don’t worry if you don’t speak French – there’s not that much and it’s not necessary to understand the movie.)

I found the movie to be smart, funny and romantic, but did feel it dragged a little in the middle.  The movie’s not perfect but it’s a fun way to spend a few hours.  There is some time travel involved, but readers and art lovers will be rewarded with glimpses of some of their favorites authors and artists from the past.   I was charmed by this movie and recommend it to those who enjoy quiet, thoughtful movies.

About these ads
  1. July 15, 2011 5:09 am

This sounds adorable. I will look out for this. I am desperate to return to Paris.

2. July 15, 2011 5:13 am

I have been hearing about this movie quite a lot lately. I really need to watch it soon, but my to-watch list is almost as huge as my to-read list :D
    I am glad to know that it’s fun and romantic. Thanks for the review!

3. July 15, 2011 5:39 am

This looks wonderful. I can’t wait for it to come out in London!

4. July 15, 2011 5:40 am

I do luv Time Travel. Glad he had the chance to get away and tour.

5. July 15, 2011 5:42 am

Luv Agatha Christie. Noticed her in the corner.

6. July 15, 2011 6:40 am

SOunds like a movie that would be best seen with a friend vs a spouse. (don’t think my husband would like this, but I might).

7. July 15, 2011 6:46 am

Woody Allen films are hit or miss for me but I’ll keep your review in mind. It sounds like I might like it.

8. July 15, 2011 8:15 am

Other than the scenery, which was breathtaking, I didn’t like this movie at all. That really surprised me because I enjoy Woody Allen, and I love the characters who went to Paris in the 20’s. Still, the fiance and her family, the time travel, so many parts of it ended up annoying me instead of pleasing me. However, the views of Paris make up for that in many ways.

9. Veens permalink
    July 15, 2011 8:58 am

I haven’t heard of this movie at all…Sounds very good..

10. July 15, 2011 9:18 am

Sounds…ok I must go and look at imdb and know more ;)

11. July 15, 2011 9:29 am

I want to see it even if it has draggy parts, just so I can fantasize about being in Paris!

12. July 15, 2011 9:30 am

Sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll have to figure out where I can watch this!

13. July 15, 2011 9:40 am

I’m not sure about this. The trailer is sort of off-putting because the other couple is so yuck. And I’m not fond of time travel. Still it does look interesting.

14. July 15, 2011 10:01 am

This sounds like a movie a must see alone. thanks for sharing.

15. July 15, 2011 10:11 am

I very much want to see this movie – thanks for the review!

16. July 15, 2011 10:18 am

I’ve heard good things about this movie, they say it’s more old school Woody Allen. I’m really looking forward to it.

17. July 15, 2011 10:28 am

I saw this movie last week (and I rarely go to movies) and absolutely loved it. I think Owen Wilson is adorable, and the plot line was eerily similar to my own ‘book’ idea. I think I most enjoyed seeing all the Parisian locations and the ability to recall them from so many years ago.

18. July 15, 2011 11:06 am

I have heard nothing but good things about this movie, and I sort of have a little crush on Owen Wilson as well. It sounds like I would love this one, and I am glad that you enjoyed it! Paris is one of those places that I would love to visit at some point.

19. July 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I’m not a Woody Allen fan but saw this with my mother and found it rather cute. It’s my favorite era, literature/art wise, so I was a bit possessive abt the portrayals of the historical figures, but still enjoyed it — v cute.

20. July 15, 2011 12:51 pm

This is the first I have heard about this movie. Thanks for sharing this Kathy….

21. July 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I kind of want to watch this just because the poster is so beautiful :P I’m glad to hear it’s enjoyable, even if the middle bits drag!

22. July 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I always enjoy reading your movie reviews because I think we have the same taste in films. The movie poster for this is awesome. What a great story about you and your friend and your Paris connection.

23. July 15, 2011 3:31 pm

My husband and I saw it a few weeks ago and we gave it a mixed review. That means I liked it and he thought it was dreadful. He also thought the whole plot dragged and that the main character was too naive. I liked seeing F.Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda and Hemingway and Gertrude Stein (Kathy Bates is always so good) and all the artists. That’s one thumbs up from me.

24. July 15, 2011 3:51 pm

sounds like an interesting movie, but I’m not much of a woody allen fan.

25. July 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I’m dying to see this movie. So many friends have told me about the Hemingway thread in it and I can’t wait to see it for myself. :)

26. July 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh! My parents keep recommending this. I MUST see it!

27. July 15, 2011 5:25 pm

I don’t know where I’ve been hiding but I hadn’t heard of this movie. Sounds like one I’d like.

28. July 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Glad you liked the movie. We plan to see it!

29. July 15, 2011 6:07 pm

This sounds pretty cute! I think I need to add it to my netflix qeue!

30. July 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Sounds gooooooood!

31. July 15, 2011 9:08 pm

I think I’ll wait until it’s out in DVD!

32. July 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Ooh…I love finding out about your amazing life bit by bit..you speak French and you lived there…how romantic!!!

33. stacybuckeye permalink
    July 15, 2011 11:12 pm

That’s how I felt about it too, although I did not understand the French! Makes me want to go back to Paris.

34. July 16, 2011 12:22 am

This one sounds good!! I’ve been on a movie spree lately. I will have to check this one!

35. July 16, 2011 9:28 am

This is in my Netflix on demand list…the weather is supposed to heat up this week big time so I may just watch this to pass the time!! Sounds good and I love thoughtful movies!

36. redladysreadingroom permalink
    July 16, 2011 11:23 am

This is on my must-see list, I just told my husband that I wanted to have a date night and see this movie. We went to Paris years ago before our son was born and loved it. I’m glad to hear that you liked it.

37. July 16, 2011 7:56 pm

I gave up watching Woody Allen movies many years ago (they all just seemed to be about gorgeous women falling at his feet), but the Paris theme has me completely sucked in for this one. It hasn’t reached small town Australia, and isn’t listed to screen at our only cinema in the next few months. I suspect I’ll watch it on DVD. I just watched the trailer! They were in the Rodin Museum! I blogged about that just this week. Oh yes. I’ll be watching it at some stage.

38. July 17, 2011 8:13 am

I love the Vincent’s Starry Nights on the advert. I have a love hate relationship with Woody Allen – sometimes his movies are brilliant other times I feel frustrated by his innuendos- it seems to be a cry to his style for ramblings too.

I love Paris and the food.

39. July 17, 2011 9:45 pm

I really enjoyed the movie. I loved seeing it so soon after returning from Paris.

40. July 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I’ve been hoping to find a chance to see this. It looks wonderful – and anything with Paris in it makes me want to go back and visit.

41. July 18, 2011 11:32 pm

I only recently heard about this movie, but now that I have, I really want to go see it!

42. spiritquay permalink
    July 20, 2011 5:25 pm

i want to see the movie but i can’t find it in London: no release date in the UK, no link for streaming that works… I have been waiting since it got out in France, i.e. two months ago! Where can i watch it?