March 2, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!  This four-letter word edition comes from my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. eyas– “It took about six weeks for the eyas to mature into a full-grown peregrine falcon.”

Eyas ia an unfledged bird; specifically: a nesting hawk.

_____________________________________________________

2. hare – “Watching out for icy patches, Andrew hared along the country road on his motorbike.”

I knew hare as a noun, but don’t recall seeing it used as a verb before.  Hare means to go swiftly: tear.

_____________________________________________________

3. hoke– “Sappy music and melodramatic acting combine to hoke up the movie’s romantic sequences.”

Hoke means to give a contrived or falsely impressive quality to – usually used with up.  Hoke comes from “hokum.”  “Hokey” (not to be confused with Hokie!) is a related word and is used to describe something corny or phony.

_____________________________________________________

4. grok– “Governments often get the details wrong, but they grok the general idea.” – – Bruce Schneier, Secrets & Lies

Grok means to understand profoundly and intuitively.  This word came from Robert A. Heinlein’s 1961 science fiction novel, Stranger in a Strange Land.

_____________________________________________________

Have you come across any new words lately?

About these ads
  1. March 2, 2011 5:09 am

Like the word eya. Never heard of it. Thank you. It’s easy to spell.

2. March 2, 2011 7:50 am

I don’t think I’d ever heard hare as a verb before, either!

3. March 2, 2011 8:28 am

Believe me, I am well versed in all things hokey!

4. March 2, 2011 8:57 am

I’ve also never seen hare used as a verb. I wonder if the use and that meaning come from the fable.

5. March 2, 2011 9:06 am

I haven’t heard grok in years! My husband and some of his friends were big Heinlein fans, so I know what the word meant, only I never heard it used outside of his books and those conversations about them before! Thanks for enlightening me!

6. March 2, 2011 9:42 am

‘Hoke’ and ‘hare’ as a verb are new to me! Very interesting!!

7. March 2, 2011 10:09 am

Sometimes I wonder if authors look up words that there is no way we’ll know the meaning of. Lol. Who would ever know what grok is – great word.

8. March 2, 2011 10:18 am

The only one I came close to guessing was “hoke.”

When I read, I can often figure out the meaning of a new word through the context, but I’m glad you look things up and share with us!

9. March 2, 2011 10:38 am

Beautiful words! I think the only one I have come across is hare (curiously, though, I thought I had seen it on a WWW post somewhere. Maybe not :-) ). Thanks for sharing!

10. March 2, 2011 10:44 am

All new words for me ! Thank you, Kathy !

11. March 2, 2011 11:00 am

I’ve never hare as a verb before. I did know hoke and grok
    (thanks to my husband and his many nerd friends). Good words. Here
    are mine: http://marthalama.wordpress.com/

12. March 2, 2011 12:09 pm

Lol, grok :)

13. March 2, 2011 12:18 pm

No wonder they say english is one of the hardest languages to learn. We have words that mean completely different things! Hare? I’ve also only known it as a noun… have never even heard it as a verb. Good to know there’s always more to learn, I guess. Haha!

14. March 2, 2011 12:25 pm

I knew “hokey” but didn’t know there was a plain “hoke.” And I usually run into “hare” as a verb in British novels. Must be a common usage there. And, “grok”–wow. It’s been a long time since I thought about Heinleins’s Stranger in a Strange Land. I’m a big Trek fan and I undestand that Trek fans when the show came out (I was a mere babe in arms when the original went off the air in ’69), used to wear buttons that said “I Grok Spock.” LOL.

I missed a couple of weeks, but I’ve got my words up today.

15. March 2, 2011 12:29 pm

I never heard of hare used as a verb before either, the others are new to me also.

16. March 2, 2011 12:37 pm

You have short words this week, but they are good ones! I didn’t realize “hoke” was a word (although I knew “hokey”, of course), or that hare’s also a verb. Thanks for doing this word work, Kathy! :)

17. March 2, 2011 12:49 pm

Interesting words! The only one I was even somewhat familiar with is hoke!
    I had no idea that hare was a verb knowing it only as a noun but at least the meaning makes sense!

Grok is a great word! It certainly sounds like one that would come out of a Heinlein book.
    Thanks for these words, Kathy. I didn’t get any of mine together to contribute to this meme, today. Sorry. Hopefully next week!
    ~ Amy

18. March 2, 2011 12:50 pm

I was so going to make a joke about a hokie!!!

19. March 2, 2011 1:01 pm

I love “to hare”. Gonna remember that one!

20. March 2, 2011 1:22 pm

aw, I do want to read A Stranger in a Strange Land someday.

21. March 2, 2011 3:02 pm

Good words, and useable too.

22. March 2, 2011 3:21 pm

I’m familiar with “hokey” but using it as a verb is very interesting. Great words!

Scribacchina, I had hare as a verb in a WWW post:

And Kathy commented about it! Which proves the point you made in your post (http://parolediscribacchina.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/wondrous-words-wednesday-sue-monk-kidd/) about “stymie” today! It takes a lot to get new words into our brains for good.

23. March 2, 2011 4:26 pm

I really like hoke!

24. March 2, 2011 6:59 pm

Oh these are good ones this week! I had no idea about the first one!

25. March 2, 2011 7:24 pm

hmmm grok… i’d close my eyes and think of the govt as being more … inclined to … pretend to know what one does… n’est pas??

26. March 3, 2011 1:48 pm

It was fun to see ‘grok’ as one of your words. It’s been years since I read Stranger in a Strange Land but I still remember grok.

27. March 5, 2011 4:13 pm

I actually knew what the first one was because at one time I thought about being a falconer! :D