Meg Cabot tour

April 14, 2010
tags:

I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to be participating in this blog tour for Meg Cabot!   Meg’s newest book in the Airhead series, Runaway, will be published on April 20, 2010.   I’d like to welcome Meg’s publicist, Lauren Cerand, for this stop on the tour.  This is what Lauren had to say about working with Meg:

Meg’s publicist, Lauren Cerand, wearing a tiara while poolside at Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, CA.

It’s been one of the highlights of my career to be Meg Cabot’s personal publicist. And to be fair, it’s a relatively recent development. She was a household name long before I was on the scene, and her in-house publicists at her publishers worldwide have done a heroic job of making sure you hear about what you want to read next. Last summer, after a brilliant lunch with Meg and her amazing agent, we continued the conversation and I joined “Team Meg” as we fondly call it, to help rethink some of the ways that Meg could connect better with you online. MegCabot.com needed a fresh look (which it got, thanks to her dynamite designer) and lots of social media hook-ups like Twitter and an official Facebook and integrated video content. Meg also started blogging about some issues that are important to her, such as youth literacy and censorship, along with her highly addictive musings on pop culture, and began highlighting emerging authors she likes there, too. We had so much fun collaborating on the very successful site relaunch that it made sense to continue working together, and so we do. My core responsibilities include advising Meg on how best to strategically take advantage of media opportunities, both evaluating requests and considering what she’d like to convey to her readers through the media, and helping to coordinate all of the different publicity campaigns that are happening around new releases at any one time (this spring and summer, Meg has three new books coming out, and Disney just announced they’ll be making one of her books into an original movie, premiering this fall). Plus, I am very engaged in the evolving world of new media and curious to see how storytelling adapts to technology, and vice versa. Meg’s very keen to use her profile to take chances in that space, and the good buzz benefits other authors. Recently she participated in BBC Audiobooks America’s second “Twitter novel” experiment (the first was with Neil Gaiman), and wrote a story for Significant Objects, which transforms thrift store finds through literary alchemy for a good cause. And seeking out new opportunities as well; it changes from day to day. Last week Meg sent me an article from The New Yorker on the history of vampires in popular culture, and we discussed about how her forthcoming novel, Insatiable, might fit into that tradition. Another day might mean responding to an event organizer or reading over a press release or reaching out to bloggers who I believe would love what’s next (Style Rookie, I’d love to send you Runaway!). Meg’s #1 reason for needing a publicist is to help the public side of things run smoothly so that she can have as much private time as possible to write, which is what we all want her to do most!

I’d like to thank Lauren for taking the time to let us know what it’s like to work on “Team Meg” – it sounds like Lauren’s a lot of fun and an integral part of the team to me!   You should check out the official web site and the complete tour schedule for Runaway.  (Don’t forget to watch the great video below the schedule!)  On April 16, Trashionista will have a fun contest to vote on the Runaway t-shirt design and I know you don’t want to miss that!

About these ads
  1. April 14, 2010 5:14 am

I am off to check out this author and her book, as I have never heard of her. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!

2. April 14, 2010 6:53 am

I’ve read Meg’s guest posts, and even though I’ve never read her books, I think I could be persuaded just because she seems like such an interesting, NICE person! I loved hearing from Lauren too.

3. April 14, 2010 7:33 am

I haven’t read Meg yet — and I don’t really know why! I agree with Sandy, she does seem so nice.

4. April 14, 2010 8:31 am

I’m going to get this. I’ve read the first two and enjoyed them very much.

5. April 14, 2010 8:35 am

I was thinking the other day about how much is involved with being an author. It’s not only writing a book but so much is about the publicity and social media these days.
    We have all the Princess Diaries books in the house – more specifically, my youngest daughter’s bedroom. She’s a recent college grad but I think she still re-reads the books. I’ve seen a couple of the movies and liked them.
    Nice post!

6. April 14, 2010 9:33 am

This is awesome! I love Meg- her books are funny and an excellent easy read. She seems like a very nice person to, from what I’ve seen of her blog posts etc :)

7. April 14, 2010 10:43 am

I have heard really good things about Meg Cabot’s work and have been looking forward to trying one of her books. It was pretty neat to read about what it’s like to work as her publicist. I will have to give one of her books a try soon. It sounds like she is a really well-loved author!

8. April 14, 2010 11:57 am

This post is so timely for me. Just this week the librarian talked me into “discovering” Meg Cabot. Now this word from her publicist has me very interested in getting right into the middle of her books. What a great job it would be to be a publicist for a super author. I’m off to check out the website and other links.

9. Let's Read permalink
    April 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I have never heard of her, but she seems like an interesting person, I am going to check her out.

10. April 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Great guest post. I had the privilege of hearing Ms. Cabot speak at last year’s BEA and loved her! She’s one of my daughter’s all-time favorite authors.

11. April 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I have not read this author, but sounds like a fun summer beach book.

12. April 14, 2010 3:15 pm

I really enjoyed this post, Kathy. Thanks so much! I’ve yet to read anything by Meg, but I will put her on my list.

13. April 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Lauren definitely sounds like a fun person!

I remember watching Princess Diaries movie when I was in high school! That was one of the funnest movies I had seen and immediately, I ran to get hold of the book! I loved the book. I didn’t continue with the series, because I couldn’t get my hands on them then, but I’ve always wanted to.

14. April 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Lauren has my dream job! Lucky, and interesting, lady.

Go Team Meg!

15. stacybuckeye permalink
    April 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Loved the persepective of a publicist.

16. April 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I am excited about this book too.

17. April 14, 2010 5:33 pm

I’d like to read this one.

18. April 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I love Meg Cabot! Thanks for posting this–what a treat!

19. April 14, 2010 8:22 pm

I’ve not read any of Meg Cabot’s book and I’ll look forward to your reviews. Lauren’s post was very interesting to read…she has a great job!

20. April 14, 2010 8:44 pm

i’m a big fan of meg cabot’s books because they are entertaining and realistic. i always recommend the ‘mediator’ series to some of the more reluctant readers in my english classes.

thanks for this informative interview. i’m off to check out meg’s website!

21. April 15, 2010 12:32 pm

So interesting to see this side of things!

22. April 15, 2010 2:17 pm

I have some Meg Cabot sitting here, waiting for me in the TBR mountain range. (You’re surprised to hear that?) I totally need to get to it…

23. April 15, 2010 7:38 pm

I love Meg Cabot! She is definitely my favorite author ever and I have read all of her books. Big fan of her blog as well!(megcabot.com/diary). Go Meg! I’m lusting after Insatiable and the new Heather Wells book(s)!

24. April 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks for this post, which is a great look at a different side of publishing. I loved hearing about the behind-the-scenes aspect of being Meg’s publicist!

25. April 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I’ve seen Meg Cabot’s name around the blogs, but I’ve never read one of her books. Maybe I’ll give them a try.