October 21, 2009

wondrous2

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the new button (or the old graphic), and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in your comment if you’re participating.)

All of my words this week came from The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose.

1. leitmotif – “Over the next two days, this becomes a leitmotif.”

I found 2 different definitions for leitmotif, and the one that fits here is: a dominant recurring theme.

_____________________________________________________

2. eschatology – “Problem is, a lot of Christians who believe the world is headed for imminent destruction don’t use their eschatology to motivate altruism.”

Eschatology is a belief concerning death, the end of the world, or the ultimate destiny of mankind; specifically: any of various Christian doctrines concerning the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, or the Last Judgment.

_____________________________________________________

3. cognoscenti – “Luckily, my first partner, a sophomore named Claire, is what the cognoscenti called a ‘bold witness’.”

Cognoscenti is the plural form of cognoscente which means a person who has expert knowledge in a subject.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

About these ads
  1. October 21, 2009 5:53 am

Apart from leitmotif, I don’t know the other two words. Thanks!

I like the sound of cognoscenti.

Here is my Wondrous Words Wednesdays post

2. Snowbell permalink
    October 21, 2009 5:54 am

I didn’t know eschatology… And remember cognoscenti from those far away SAT day :)
    Here’s mine

3. October 21, 2009 7:08 am

Whoot! Love the excellent new button ! Appropriate for me because it seems I need the magnifying glass more times than not. Eschatology~ I like that one. It fits the book I am reading now, Shadow Government by Grant Jeffrey. Scary stuff.

4. October 21, 2009 7:15 am

I kind of knew the first word!

Here are my new words:

5. October 21, 2009 8:33 am

“leitmotif” is a neat sounding word!

6. October 21, 2009 8:33 am

I haven’t heard any of those words before, but hope as my career goes on that I have expert knowledge in early childhood development. :)

Here’s my list…

7. October 21, 2009 8:34 am

I’ll have to use “leitmotif” today, it sounds pretty neat!

8. October 21, 2009 8:40 am

Your words make me want to read your book! Sounds like one I would enjoy. Have a great day.

My list:

9. October 21, 2009 8:44 am

All three of your words are a mouthful. Definitely not in my casual conversation.

I have only one new word this week. Come, find it HERE.

10. October 21, 2009 9:21 am

Eschatology is a very useful word in the circles I run in :)

11. October 21, 2009 9:42 am

I’m wondering what a “bold” witness is, but I guess that’s part of the story!

12. October 21, 2009 10:12 am

I know eschatology well (just abandoned a book on the subject, in fact). Here are mine: http://wordlily.com/2009/10/21/resurrecting-an-old-habit-and-words/

13. October 21, 2009 11:14 am

Sometime the wonderous words are definitely wonderous but nothing I’d ever use again. I can see where one might use “leitmotif,” though. Cognoscenti I have seen before and love that word.

14. October 21, 2009 11:45 am

I have seen these words before, but would have been hard pressed to give a definition for a couple of them.

15. October 21, 2009 12:04 pm

I’ve added these to my vocabulary list.

Leitmotif is a word I could use in my reviews! :-)

16. October 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Interesting set of words. Unknown to me too.

Here’s mine: http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/10/wonderous-words-wednesday.html

17. October 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Man — who comes up with these words? You need a pronunciation guide for them as well. I guess a few of your commenters know them, but no one I chat with would have the faintest clue what I was talking about. Whew! :o For “leitmotif’ I would just say, “is there an echo in the room?” And what’s wrong with just using the word expert instead of cognoscenti?

Thanks for sharing :) Very interesting.

18. October 21, 2009 1:25 pm

I just finished reading The Dancing Plague by John Waller and eschatology was a word. I was too lazy to look it up, so I am happy that I read these posts. I am a Wondrous Words success story.

19. Carol permalink
    October 21, 2009 2:36 pm

I knew eschatology, but not the other two.

20. October 21, 2009 3:52 pm

I’m all proud of myself that I knew the first two :P And now I know “cognoscenti” too :D I love what these posts do for my vocabulary.

21. October 21, 2009 3:57 pm

I only knew leitmotif, I kinda like that word too :-)

My words: http://bookatopia.blogspot.com/2009/10/wondrous-words-wednesday-october-21.html

22. October 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Though I’d probably never use the word “cognoscenti” I love the way it rolls of my tongue. Thanks for posting these!

23. October 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I’m late, I’m late for a very important date, Wondrous Words. Had to get my flu shot today.

I’ve never seen any of Bermudaonion’s words.

24. October 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Excellent words! I’ve heard two of them before, but eschatology was completely new! Thanks!

Here’s mine: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/10/wondrous-words-wednesday_21.html

25. October 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Wow! These are some great words this week Kathy.

26. October 21, 2009 8:51 pm

gee, I only knew one this week, eschatology.
    finally my philosophy degree pays off!

27. October 21, 2009 8:53 pm

I didn’t know “eschatology”, but I do now. Thank you!!

28. October 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I only know the second one but I learned something new with the first and third ones. :D

29. October 21, 2009 11:05 pm

The only definition I can think of for leitmotif is a “dominant reocurring theme.” Off to find the other definition!

30. October 23, 2009 4:35 pm

I don’t feel very smart after reading those!! LOL!! :)